Saturday, April 02, 2011

A tale of two friendships, part 2.

I hope you enjoyed the tale of Sammy and his friends Hershey Bar and Jewelry. The friendships are still going strong and daily we hear new tidbits (today Jewelry saw a flying cow! She also taught Sam how to make cake out of macaroni. Amelia thought that sounded yucky but Sam assures us it is really good:) .
Anyway, today I would like to introduce you to Amelia's sock monkey, Harry.
Now, Harry was actually supposed to be for Joel. That's right. See, Joel has always told me that he dreamed of having a sock monkey as a child and so when I saw Harry at a thrift store on vacation, I grabbed him. As soon as Amelia saw him though, she was in love. Which is funny, because Amelia is never really too attached to toys or things. She has one doll (Baby Black) who she has professed her love towards for longer than one day and a giraffe that she has loved since she was a babe, but usually Sam directs the play and she just goes along with it (trucks? sure. sandbox? ok. sea creatures? fine. etc.) Anyway, she was so cute because she would say over and over as she clutched Harry, " I love your monkey dad. I really, really love him." I've never heard her be so verbally affectionate about a toy. She took him sledding, hiking, to Mesa Verde, to Arches National Park. Everywhere we went on our road trip, she took him. Finally she said to Joel, " I know he is your monkey dad, but can I just call him mine?"

Here they are doing yoga together. Just kidding. We aren't sure what they were doing, but isn't it hysterical?:)




While in Moab we were eating breakfast one morning, I realized Harry was missing one of his arms (which was present when we bought him)! Amelia hadn't noticed and so we decided not to tell her until we saw if it turned up somewhere. Sure enough, when we got back to the hotel, there it was on the bed. I grabbed it and put it in a bag to take home and have mom sew it back on. While we were loading the car though, Amelia saw it in the bag and when she put two and two together she burst into tears and didn't stop crying for thirty minutes! It was quite tragic, though I wouldn't be telling the whole story if I didn't admit that I could not force myself to stop laughing. Oh gosh, it was so funny and sad at the same time. Anyway, she recovered but here she is not long after the revelation :(

Now that Harry is home, he is just one of the crew and not as prized for sure. But she does still love to snuggle with him at bedtime and I do think he will always have a special place in all of our hearts for sure.


So, there ya go. One of the few tales you will hear about Amelia and a prized possession. People are her everything, but this monkey, he found his way into her heart and it was an adorable pair to be sure.
All for now, Jen

2 comments:

ann.e said...

so cute!! great story and those pictures are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen that is just precious. I have to admit the tragedy of the arm, I would have been right there with you so sad and so funny at the same time.

b