Sunday, March 27, 2011

A tale of two friendships, part 1.


I have been meaning to sit down and write about Sam and his friend for quite a while now. He started talking about his friend Hershey Bar matter of factly months ago. It took us quite a while to figure out that, duh, Hershey Bar is Sammy's imaginary friend! It just took us by surprise because, for one, it was so out of the blue. One day Hershey Bar was just, there. Well, he lives in the forest. He also dies a lot and goes to heaven to see Jesus but he always comes back to the forest. Sam just throws things out about him when we least expect it. That boy has an imagination that I can't even believe. Here is what we have heard about him so far:

* He is a monster, but really kind.
* He loves everyone in our family.
* He is bigger than Daddy.
* He has a sister named Australia and a brother named John.
* His mouth is on his back, which Sam finds really, really funny.
* He helps people often.
* He and Sam go on all kinds of adventures--scuba diving, hiking, etc.

Oh gosh, there is SO much more. I have no idea where the name Hershey Bar came from, the whole thing is such a mystery to me. Sam finds such joy in telling long and super creative stories, and I guess in the magic of his mind Hershey bar was created! I think also, Sam isn't a huge people person and so an imaginary friend is just perfect for him. I don't think Amelia would ever create such a thing because her "real life" friends meet that social need and someone who she couldn't "really" talk with would never do.

Since then there has been a new imaginary friend added to the mix. Her name is Jewelry. She lives in Africa and can often be found riding on a school bus. That is all I can remember about her for the moment. Oh, she teaches Sam songs and he'll just pop out with, "Jewelry taught me this song, do you know it?" and then preform:)

Oh my, it is such a funny and new experience. I don't think I ever had an imaginary friend, did you? I remember a little plastic heart shaped locket that had an tiny, plastic Annie figurine in it and I would talk to her sometimes. But that doesn't count because she was a toy and not imaginary.

Anyway, that reminds me of friendship number two that I will write about soon. It's Amelia and her sock monkey, Harry. It's a rather sweet story. But right now it is Sunday family nap time and I must go:) Zzzzzzzzzzzz, Jen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jewelry is quite the adventuresome person... that's what I hear. :)

ann.e said...

I love this - what goes on in these little heads of theirs?? Can't wait to hear part 2!

Craig said...

Ahem. Not to be a pest, but I depend on your blog to brighten even my darkest days, so.....Hello? Part 2??

cRosenau said...

My niece had a couple of "friends". One who's name was Jack and at times was a girl and at times a boy. One was named Sippee. She's an only child and at 10 still has quite an imagination. She loves to come over and use my camera to make videos.