Saturday, April 16, 2011

Wish I could bottle it up...







Their fourth birthday was such a joy! I wish I could just bottle up every moment and remember it, especially when they first woke up. Blogging about it is about as close as I'll get I guess:)

It had been a rough night for Amelia before their birthday morning. Her bad cough kept waking her up and she and Joel spent most of the night in the guest room, neither getting much sleep. So anyway, Sam woke up first. He was in our bed with me and turned toward me with a big grin as soon as his eyes opened. I thought he must remember that it was his birthday, but instead he said, "Mom, where do box turtles hide when there is danger?" I laughed and said, " Inside their shells?" "Yep" he answered, still smiling from ear to ear. Perfect first words of his fourth year-haha. So I said, "Sam, do you know that today is your birthday?" He was SO excited. He said all sorts of wonderful things like, "I'm FOUR. I'm SO STRONG! I have to tell MENA!"

He ran and found her in the guest room and yelled, "MENA, we are FOUR. Today is our birthday!!!" In true Amelia fashion she popped straight up from a dead sleep. She was standing in the bed in just her underwear and yelled, "Look how tall I am Sam!!" Seriously, it was the cutest thing I have ever seen.

Poor Joel, he had to go to work and since they woke up a bit later he missed it all:/ We did face time with him when we went downstairs to their "pancake party". Mom and I had decorated the night before and she came up and was greeted with shouts from Sam about how strong he was. They opened presents (the favorites being Mammy's gifts of a car transporter truck for Sam and a horse trailer pulling truck for Melia ), went crazy with silly string and ate pancakes with whipped cream. It was so much fun. Well, poor Amelia was so sleepy and a bit out of it most of the day but Sam was in fine form.

We had decided to take them to the zoo since we never go (this was their third time I think). We met Anne, Vera and Eden there and had a great time. Thank goodness I thought to bring the stroller for Amelia because she was pooped. I was so glad Vera was there to run and shout with Sam over all of the animals.

Anyway, I think what made it so special was comparing it to last years party. Sam was just completely overwhelmed with all of their friends being there and had meltdown after meltdown (meanwhile Amelia was in friend heaven). It was SO wonderful to see Sam have such a special day--he was happy and excited from the moment he woke up to the moment he went to sleep.

Don't you worry about Amelia--she will have her day too! We have a little party planned for them at our favorite place (Red Butte Garden) coming up and I know she will revel in having her friends there. They are having a worm themed garden party and Sam is really excited too, so hopefully it will be fun for both of them!

All in all, it was a wonderful day and I'm so very thankful for my two sweet four year olds!
Jen
P.S. I have more pictures, I just need to get them off of my phone. Soon, soon:)

3 comments:

ann.e said...

good job giving them such a special day!

eek look at that tiger!!! I didn't know you got a picture of it - that was so cool to experience!

stephanie said...

so sweet! so glad it was such a special day:)

erin said...

Sounds like such a perfect day for both! Love the pictures. Hope Amelia feels better soon. Cami and Noah both had that cough over the past couple weeks, I felt so bad for them.