Thursday, April 01, 2010

A swing and a miss...

Months ago I used an amazon gift card to purchase some beautiful roving wool. I had dreams of making my children and nieces and nephew some felted eggs and wrapping them in spring colored play silks. Ahem. I did manage to dye some play silks a while back but they weren't very springy. Then I was waiting for a night when Joel could make the eggs with me. My reason for this was that he is usually more competent with hand crafts and so I wanted his help. However, the weeks went by and I finally decided it wasn't going to happen to send them to my nieces and nephew (sorry guys, I know you are sorely disapointed:). But, when a dinner date w/ friends fell through this evening and it was snowy and cold outside, I declared it family craft night!!! Maybe Sam and Amelia might at least get a few wool eggs. I ran up stairs to gather the materials, grabbing my camera on the way down to capture this sweet, waldorfy craft time. I was greeted by this happy camper wailing about daddy taking her tape or something....



Things got a bit better from there and there were some brief, sweet moments like these...


But then our computer, which is where we were getting our instructions, died. Joel declared that he just wasn't passionate about felting and therefore wasn't really into it, nothing was looking right and the babes started splashing in the water. So, Joel took them into the kitchen to eat pizza and strawberries and I tried to finish a few eggs while throwing out helpful comments like, " That wasn't really how I envisioned this evening looking." :) :)
The eggs didn't turn out great. At all. They are fuzzy and will probably unravel, just like the felt balls I tried to make for their first birthday. Sigh. Is anybody out there a pro felter that can give me some tips for goodness sake?
Ah well, you win some and lose some. Here are the finished products on the festivity stand.

The roving wool looks pretty at least. And I'm glad we tried. And really, working with warm sudsy water and wool while it snowed outside and Sam and Amelia chased each other around giggling and Joel made pizza and then worked on his composting bin...well, that makes me think the process truly is often worth more than the end result and not a miss after all.
I'll leave you with a recipe I am making on Sunday, which will hopefully turn out better than tonight's experiment:) It is from Simply in Season:
______________________________________
Spring Quiche (serves 4-6)
3 eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 TBLS fresh rosemary (chopped or 1 tsp dried)
Beat together and set aside

1-1 1/2 cups asparagus (cooked and chopped)
1 cup swiss cheese (shredded)
1/2 cup bacon (fried, crumbled)
1/4 cup green onion or onion (chopped)
MIx together and pour into 9 in pie crust, topped by egg-milk mixture. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
Baked in preheated oven at 425 for 15 min. Reduce heat to 350 and bake until browned on top and set in middle, another 25-30 min. Allow to cool for 10-15 min before cutting and serving.
________________________________________

All for now,
Jen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well...the eggs look great! I've always wanted to be a felter but...remember that diaper cover I tried???? I can't wait to try this recipe!! It sounds great. I think I'll write it down just in case my computer dies right when I'm baking. :)
Love,
Mammie

Court said...

Sounds like a few of my craft endeavors....it just never turns out quite like I had envisioned it :) Hey - at least you have fond memories of it! Hope you guys have a wonderful Easter.

Jocelyn said...

ahhh... this made me giggle. sometimes the best laid plans... turn out to be something completely different and interestingly enough... just as good, if not better! :)