Tuesday, November 03, 2009

A mama's thoughts as her children play...

I walked in their room the other night before story time and prayers to find Sammy, once again, heaping blankets and toys and dolls on top of Amelia while she quietly accepted his offerings. I can tell it is his way of saying that he loves her...giving her every good thing in the room--even his favorite blankets. As I sat in the rocker and watched them, it brought to my mind so many things. When Amelia would snub one of his gifts or snuggles, I thought of how heartbreaking it will be to see him snubbed in the future by girls or friends who he gives his heart to. I thought of Amelia and how she will probably get used to having an adoring brother who heaps praise on her (I know there will also be valleys where affection is not so apparent...we have them daily:) and how she will expect the winner of her affections to follow suit. I thought of Sammy's big, giving, sensitive heart and asked God to give Joel and I wisdom on how to guard and encourage that in him and yet also help him to be assertive when he needs to be (ahem, when Amelia falls to the floor in rejection b/c she wants something of his and he gives in immediately) . So many thoughts and hopes and prayers for these little ones are lifted up as I watch them play, as I rock them to sleep, as I cry tears of frustration when the days are long and my patience has faded. Grow us up Lord, together. Give us grace and wisdom each day.





All for now,
Jen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grow us up Lord... can't tell you how many times I had this thought. This story took me right back to the Hockley house and the many memories of you and Bub. I'm sure Johnny Mike was in the background pulling a little red wagon! :)
Love,
Mom

Megan Sandoz said...

I love them.