Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mama said there'd be days like this...

It started with Sammy figuring out how to peel a banana, and peeling about eight of them and smushing them into carpet, hiding them, eating parts of them and leaving other parts elsewhere...all before mama and daddy even woke up!

Then nap time. Let me back up and say we are trying something new at nap and bedtime. No more rocking:( It was taking hours, Sammy started waiting until Amelia fell asleep and then wanting to be rocked but would not fall asleep...uggg. It was frustrating us all, and yet was so sweet at times and I already miss it:( So, I went Supernanny on Amelia last night and took her back to her bed about 50 times before she finally fell asleep around 11:30pm snuggled up next to Sam.

So, nap time today. At the end of two hours in their room, I thought they were so quiet they must have finally fallen asleep. Nope. They were playing with poop. I won't go into details, but it was not for the faint of heart. When I saw the crime scene I burst into tears. It was a bit melodramatic, but what can I say, I was really tired. I shoo them downstairs while I start cleaning their room.

They are really quiet for a while. I get scared. I go downstairs to find them COVERED in chocolate milk powder. It is all over the kitchen floor, cabinet, and themselves. Chocolate is smeared all over their faces. I laugh, because they do look really cute and guilty and what else can I do? Then I see Amelia's feet. They have poop all over them:( I took her upstairs and stripped her down and she immediatley peed on my sweater (that I had ripped off b/c my body heat went way up when I saw poop all over their room).

We get out of the house. We drive to the airport to watch the planes. We laugh and talk and start to feel better. We come home and I write this cathartic post while they stick sticky notes all over the fridge and color pumpkins with markers.

I look forward to an early bedtime so that I can work on a talk about hospitality I am supposed to give on Friday. Our house smells like cat food (?!) and poop and really doesn't feel like an inspiring place to think about hospitality, but beyond the smell there is laughter and there is forgiveness (on their end and mine) and there is hope for better days, and I think that is what home is all about.

Thanks for being a listening ear on this craaaazy day:) Jen

Though this picture is obviously "old", I feel exactly like this right now:)

8 comments:

Jana said...

I am speechless...all I can think to say is, bless your heart! There will probably never be another day quite like this one.
Most mama's have at least one poop story :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, jen. Did I really tell you about those days??? :) I love you, honey, and wish I was there to share these moments. You know it would be one of those times where we would laugh hysterically and the babes would look at us like we had lost it. Remember when we were so tired in Honduras and we started doing our funny tricks and Rhonda's children just looked at us like... well, you know.
Love you,
Mom

Jenny said...

Well, if you can believe it, things got even crazier when I realized while changing the babes linens that the cat had peed on both of their beds (the first time she has EVER done this in the three years we have had her)! Ewwwww. Poop, pee, chocolate powder....and torture chamber style screaming when I left their room tonight w/out rocking! I decided to try another SuperNanny tactic and sit in the room by the door as long as they stayed in their beds. It worked and they were out by 7. Oh yes, mama, we would have been quite hysterical I am sure. Remember when we were registering at Target and you were soooo tired that you were being overly enthusiastic and we just died laughing about it over and over? Good times.
Yes, Jana, I comforted myself with the fact that most mamas do have at least one poop story (though this isn't my first). I am hoping this is my last. Thank you for blessing my heart...I need it tonight! Much love! Jen

The Bittles said...

Wow, I know it may not be the most appropriate thing, but I couldn't help but laugh and laugh at your eventful day. Perhaps because I so understand and it is somewhat encouraging to hear others go through it all too. Although I do have to say, this one takes the cake and will certainly go down in the Hunt family history! Yesterday I was laid out sick and Hudson had free run of the house. Thankfully no poop was involved but the house was torn apart, no basket left unturned, the pantry raided and spread out in the kitchen and Vaseline spread all over the bathroom mirror...I spent today cleaning :) Love ya and can't wait to see you in Dec.

Charlie and Kari said...

Oh Wow, Jenny, I will always rememember this story and take heart when I have days like this upcoming! I also read the post before this one, about singing "White Christmas", isn't it so wonderful of God to bring the "uggh" days and sweet days all mixed together to keep us going? Love ya! Kari

Anonymous said...

Oh Sweetie all I can say is there should never be days like this but alas there are. Thank goodness for Gods grace that gets us and our children through those days alive. All moms have at least one poop story that is such a true statement. My sister in law had triplets and let me just say that when your talking more than one the poop stories sound so much worse. I too hope this is your last poop story or cat pee story as well. You going "supernanny" cracks me up. Love you lots sweet Jenny. b

capturing said...

Jenny, I love you, and the more and more I get to know I just love you more and more. Hopefully you take this the right way...I am so thankful for your honesty in this blog post. I have so many hard days and I often times feel like a horrible mother and then when I read that you too get frustrated and have hard days, a mother that I admire and respect, it makes me not feel so bad about myself, and to be more gracious towards myself. And I have to tell you that when you said this, "and there is forgiveness (on their end and mine)", it really spoke to me, because on the hard days, I often times feel guilty for getting frustrated or not being able to handle the hard day, and to think that Griffin can and will forgive me for my imperfections is so incredible. Thank you for sharing this Jenny. Love you, Melanie

Anonymous said...

I agree with Melanie, especially about the more you get to know you (Jenny) the more you love you. Also about the sentence about forgiveness on both parts is an extremely powerful statement for us moms. love you more all the time. b