Wednesday, July 01, 2009

I'm so dizzy, my head is spinnin'...

So, I went to my first spin class today. I could sum it up in one word--humiliation--or I could tell you the whole story. I think the whole story is funnier and so I'll tell ya.

Background. I haven't worked out in ages. I have recently returned to the gym but my work outs were such that they usually allowed me to be reading a book while on the bicycle, tread mill, etc. So, I decided to amp it up a notch and try a class. Spinning sounded fun. Music, a guy inspiring you up front, no crazy coordination skills needed...sounds good. So I signed up and got there this morning at 9:15 ready to go. Ahem.

I was the last one to arrive in the room and there was only on bicycle left--very front row, very center bike! I noticed quickly that I was a fish out of water. First of all, I had no water bottle and no little towel and no spandex. Also, everyone was buzzing. Talking and talking and talking. I still don't know what that was about. Anyway, I told the instructor that this was my first class and that my seat felt too high. I felt like a dork saying that but I didn't need any more handicaps and had no idea how to fix it! So, he did. Then we started. It was going along fine until he kept saying, "Okay, stand it up!" and everyone would stand up on their bicycles and keep riding. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! After about 2 minutes of this, my legs were literally giving out and I had to sit down. I was the only one in this jam packed room that was having to sit down! I kept trying to stand back up and wham, my legs would just quit! I knew I was not doing well when the instructor got off his bike and walked between the bikes encouraging everyone. He would clap in people's faces and say things like, "PUSH IT!" "GEAR DOWN! (I still don't have the slightest ideas how to work that gear knob)" "PUSH IT PUSH IT PUSH IT!!!" When he got to me, though, he would just pat my back and say," Doin' good" in a voice that relayed I was doing anything but good. I was just surviving.

My new goal was just to make it to the end. I gave my feeble attempts to do the sprints, but I didn't even try to stand up again. Who were these robots around me? These ultra thin blondes with sculpted abs and leg muscles? I almost threw up several times and so I guess that's something to be thankful for. I didn't throw up nor did I fall off the bicycle. Two good things. That's about all I can say. The 80 year old guy next two me? No problemo. He sailed through the class and then he grabbed his yoga mat and headed off with about half of the class to yoga next door. Seriously? Then I saw about five of the super thin blondes on TREADMILLS after the class. What?! Then, I saw the rest of the gang picking up their kids from kidsclub. They are mamas too?! Don't they ever hide in the pantry and eat cookies while their little one has a tantrum in their bedroom? I mean, I don't, but I've heard of that happening.

Ah well, a little humiliation is probably good every once in a while. It makes me want to do better in the physical discipline department. It was a bit of a wake up call. Once I got the babes back in the car and sat there for a second in shock, and then reminding myself that my value as a person doesn't just come from how good I look in work out clothes or if I can stand up on a stationary bicycle and spin my heart out while U2 belts out, "It's a beautiful daaaaay!" I am more than that, thank the Lord. But I do want to be strong enough to do it and so, believe it or not, I am signed up again for Friday. Partly because Joel gets sooooo proud of me when I do things like that that don't come naturally. I am a sucker for trying to make people proud. Must be the middle child in me:) But mostly, because I know my body needs to be kicked into gear, and there's nothing like being stuck in a room full of motivated, strong, abnormally fit people to make ya do it.

All for now. My mamas here!!! Jen

13 comments:

ann.e said...

I understand all the hahahahahas from your text now :) heehee, I would have been right there with you!

Unknown said...

jenny this is what life is made of! The little instances of humiliation and reality check. Yours just came in a very amusing form!! Love you, keep going and see what happens!!
We both know what happens if you don't...
The struggle seems to be worse than the fight.

( ahem, tara run tom. morning! ) ;)

Jana said...

oh my...I know of which you speak...

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you. My theory on exercise is that now you can hide in the pantry and eat more cookies because you exercise. Ok, don't pay attention to me but thanks for the humor. That is one of the things I love most about you, one of the other things is that I know you will keep going. Tell everybody hello from me. b

Megan Sandoz said...

you are an inspiration to us all... :)

Tammy said...

You are AWESOME to go and stick with it! Great job!!! I think spinning is a tough workout. I did it for a few weeks in the winter to mix things up, and it was getting my heart rate right up there. So, good for you for doing it. :)

Anonymous said...

Only you could make a lesson in humility sound so fun. Now 20 lessons down the road when you're one of the abnormally fit you can encourage the newbie on the bike that's front and center because you know..! God bless!

Jami said...

I say quit and eat more cookies.

Unknown said...

So proud of you for going back! I went to a spin class once and then quit. Go Jenny, Go Jenny!

sara said...

Oh my friend, you made me laugh but you also make me proud. I wish I could be there right beside you- though we'd probably just sit and giggle through the whole thing. But they say laughter burns calories too. :)

Kelly said...

oh, Jenny, I'm laughing so hard. But, believe you me... I would have been in worse shape than you were... Seriously. You are a trooper to finish the class!!

TZ said...

Dear Jen,
I know what was missing.
The Spandex. If you had just had your "athletic clothes" on it would have been a breeze. Those ladies aren't really that fit. They just had on their athletic outfits. Remember when I wore my athletic outfit?? I got a CALL from the Olympian Alumni Association for pete's sake!..encouraging me to keep GOING! And I did. I kept wearing my athletic outfit. ;) ;D Heeeeeee heeeeeeee Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Okay seriously, I'm thinking it's the elastic in the spandex that really is their secret. No way anyone could seriously be that in shape. ;) :) Jen - you KNOW you are an inspiration now, so you MUST keep going. I just FEEL more in shape after reading this. (oh, maybe it's because my gut muscles ache from LAUGHING so hard) Okay, last time. Seriously, you KNOW I have been there. Only in a DANCE class at Gold's Gym. Man! Talk about feeling like a fish out of water!! And the 80 year old man to MY left was doing the GRUNGE/GHETTO dancing like he was born in the bronx leaving ME looking like I was hula hooping. Oh man was that crazy humiliating. I even went back!
Love you SO much - just read this entry for first time - cracked up. Shan

TZ said...

I really AM so inspired and it encourages me to at least walk more. Love, Shan