Thursday, July 23, 2009

Summer livin'

So, I'm ready to hear your favorite things to do with little ones during these hot, summer months. I need some fresh ideas for whenever my mama leaves next week and I am certain to hit a wall!
Amelia will demonstrate for you a few of our favorites:
Inside activities:
Stringing beads. Amelia has just started being able to do this on her own. I bought these at a garage sale and now realize they have really small holes compared to other toddler/ pre-school stringing beads. Poor Amelia, I should really get her some more age appropriate ones!

Making cards. Here she is coloring and putting stickers on a card for her baby cousin, Isaac. She likes working with stickers. They drive Sam CRAZY.


Her beloved peg board. This has been a favorite quiet time activity of hers for a very long time. Love it.


A big, magnetic wipe off board with magnets and markers is always a fan favorite.


We also enjoy running around the house and screaming when we "get you!", reading books, listening to music and dancin, and watching an afternoon "show" . Well, Sam is into watching shows. Amelia lasts about five minutes usually. Which makes me happy. And sometimes sad.

Outside Activities:
Riding tricycles until mama deems it too hot outside and we go inside (Yes, I know, it's time for bigger trikes.)

Eating lots of juicy fruit. Apples, nectarines, blueberries, and strawberries have been the summer faves. Especially blueberries. Anyone have some favorite ways to use blueberries? I smashed them up and mixed them with plain yogurt and honey to make popcycles and they were pretty yummy.


Going on morning outings to the gardens, to our music and art classes in the park, etc. before the heat really hits.

Other of their favorite activities not pictured are: Swimming in the baby pool ( no need to suggest taking them to a swimming pool--I am so not ready to do that on my own), playing at park play grounds ( they love it, I'm still not a big fan), playing in wide open spaces, taking a walk in the cool morning/evening air.
Happy hot,hot summertime days to you and I really would love to hear your ideas! Jen

8 comments:

Esther said...

I just did a post about this last week! Hope some of my suggestions help: http://ethanzachemma.blogspot.com/2009/07/mo-om-im-bored.html

the bakks said...

Hey Jenny - we've been doing a lot of inside forts and "houses" out of blocks for little animals, little people, etc...a lot of pretend play...look this suitcase is a boat, let's get some spatulas for oars :) or the laundry basket is a car, etc...what can I say, it's hot in Texas! haha lots of card making and painting on the kitchen floor - "baking" with Mama, "gluing" magazine pictures/real family pictures onto papers & making little books (I do all the cutting then let her dip a popsicle stick in a tiny dab of glue) - we also made a memory game like this with fam pictures out of cardboard - it was so much fun...and lots and lots of friends over...that's what's getting us through the summer heat :)

Unknown said...

Lately I have been playing house with Echo, teaching her all day how to accompany my house work.
I teach her how to help with dishes, cooking, dusting, clothes, line drying, floors... everything!
She gets the most fulfillment out this play, and I get my house neat and clean every single day.

Making Jewelry is another fav. ( stringing beads,foam bracelets, ect )

We also go "searching" for animals a lot.
Cats, toads, bugs, birds. And when we find one, I draw his house and him into her notebook.
( blues clues gave me the idea)
She LOVES to flip through it, and remember where we found the Toad.


Then there is the kitty pool, with lots and lots of shade- and water toys.

And friends over a lot ! I second that activity !

Jenny said...

Thanks girls for all of your great ideas! Ellie, I wish we could come over and play pretend with you and Josie--I know you two are a fun pair! Tara Bell, love your idea about including them in every day cleaning. Haven't figured out yet how to do that effectively (to say the least!) with the two of them yet, but I'll keep working on it. I'll come watch ya when we visit TX next. The babes have never seemed interested in housework like all of my friends/books say that theirs are! Go figure:) Love to you guys and your precious little ones!

Shanyn Zink said...

um, i nurse isaac alot. inside. ;)
shan

Charlie and Kari said...

Just a simple and cheap outside activity idea my Aunt just told me she loves to do with grandkids: Get them a bucket of water and different sized paint brushes then let them "paint with water" whatever area they are in (porch). She goes on and on about how much they are also helping her clean certain spots. Says all her kiddos have loved that, as simple as it is! I love YOUR ideas! By the way, can you tell me your favorite back-carriers for babies? Love, Kari

Jenny said...

Hi Kari, love the painting with water idea! We have done that inside on chalkboards but never outside..and they love pretty much anything to do with water and so I know they'll love it! Back pack carriers....We have a Beco carrier and a Kelty kids carrier. I would choose something like the Kelty kids only for hiking...Joel uses it to hike with them and it works great. I use the Beco for every day use and hiking and it has worked great for both! I am always amazed of how light they are when I carry them on my back in the Beco. Another great carrier similar to the Beco is the Ergo which people seem to LOVE. I got Courtney one to use with Maggie and I think she has enjoyed it. Look for sales online for all of these before buying them, or on craigslist. Happy baby wearing and hope this helps! Jen

ann.e said...

I tried to put Vera in the highchair today to color and she WOULD NOT HAVE IT. Amelia looks so content :)