Sunday, May 03, 2009

The question of the hour is (Update #3)...

How will this big girl

sleep in her big girl bed tonight?

Last time I looked at the spy cam she was snuggled up with her bunny saying "new bed, new bed, new bed" over and over again:) I'll let you know how it goes! Jen

So the first night went great! She fell asleep just fine and slept the whole night with out a peep:) She did go to bed late, though, and was really sleepy and so we'll see how nap time goes today. Regardless, the first night was a roaring success. Hurray Amelia!


Update #2. Nap time was a little tougher, as expected, but not terrible! I stood watch by the video monitor and as soon as her little feet would touch the floor I would bust in the room like the FBI (okay, not really) and put her back in bed. It took about 7 times before she gave up and just looked at her book and played with bunny and fell asleep. Hurray! I think the reason it might be easier with Amelia than lots of kids is that she had no attachment to her pack and play bed whatsoever. She was attached to sleeping in our family bed and in her hammock and those were much harder transitions to make than this is seeming to be. Oh, and sleeper Sam just snoozed through it all:)

I promise this will be the last update for a while. I am just SO bad at remembering this milestone stuff that when other mamas ask me about sleep, weaning, walking, talking stages, I have long forgotten. So, this will help me direct them to how our experience was. Bedtime tonight was even better than last. Once again, I was glued to the spy cam and as soon as she touched the ground I went in and she flew back into bed and stayed there until she fell asleep:) I agree with Beth's comment, that we should keep the power of the video monitor going for as long as possible--tee,hee. She does take a long glance towards the door before trying to get out:) Anyway, here is to our big girl sleeping soundly in her big girl bed again tonight!

Jen

16 comments:

Shanyn Zink said...

Oh, I LOVE it!! New Bed indeed.
Love,
Shan

ann.e said...

eek!!!

ann.e said...

p.s. you got the double - are you hoping they'll sleep together?? :)

Jenny said...

So, she fell asleep just fine--yay! We'll see how the rest of the night goes. Anne, the bed is a toddler bed that converts to a twin later on. I was hoping that they would sleep together, but when we tried putting them down tonight Sam freaked out until we put him in his crib and then he settled right down. So, his transition to a bed will probably be a bigger deal. You know how hard change is for him! I am hoping Melia just breezes right though. We'll see ! Jen

Court said...

oh I remember the transition from crib to big bed for Maggie. She slept smack up against the door the first night. It broke my heart :( The next night, she moved a little away from the door. Each night she got a little closer to the bed and then eventually settled in. I was so worried about her comfort, but I guess she enjoyed the floor :) Now, she does just fine in the big bed, she just sleeps in all sorts of strange positions. I've given up on moving her into the "right" position...I figure maybe she knows best what is most comfortable for her! :) Glad that Amelia did fine...I'm sure Sam will get there too!

Anonymous said...

what a big girl! just love those pony tails!
luv,
mammy

Jana said...

So...did she make it thru the night? Can't wait to hear how it went. love, jana

Court said...

Oh Jen....naptime was a much bigger struggle for Maggie...let's hope that is not the case with Amelia :)

Unknown said...

BEDS!? I just lit up when I saw her little space! Perfect mama! And I cannot WAIT to follow with an Echo bed.
Or maybe she will be a pallet babe forever :)
surely not....?

Unknown said...

ps- where is the bed from ??

Jenny said...

Hi Tara Shay,
Can you believe we keep missing each other again! Anyway, I KNOW, I love Amelia's little space and can't wait to make it even more "her" as the days go by. The bed cam from, where else, IKEA! Once Echo isn't nursing any more I bet a bed of her own won't be far behind. Love you sister! Jen

ann.e said...

yay!! so glad she napped - sounds like you did exactly the right thing and she probably thinks you're magic knowing right when she steps onto the floor :) vera must have caught the napping bug from you guys this morning - she's been asleep over 2 hours!! anyway, I love the 'new bed' - I remember seeing it I think.. you can pull it out to make it longer?

Anonymous said...

So Kevin and I have been having a conversation about the spy cam. We think you should never tell the kids about it. We think you should use it forever or as long as possible so then the kids will know that they will never get anything over on mom and dad. Actually that thought just made us both laugh hysterically, can't you just see an 8 year old trying to figure out how you knew what they were doing. I love it. love you guys, b

the schilps said...

is it shallow of me to be fixated on the art above melia's bed, missing the whole momentous occasion of her transition into a big girl bed?! so, love the bed, love the artwork, love your family.
abbe

ann.e said...

haha I just wondered if you'd update again :) yay!

Jocelyn said...

I can't believe she's in a big girl bed. Where does the time go. And I LOVE the bed- what a cool toddler bed. So proud of her- way to go Amelia.