Monday, March 02, 2009

Monday Morning Ritual...





Rain, snow or shine we three go to the children's museum every Monday morning. When they wake, I tell them we are going to the mueseum and I hear shouts of "Water! Boat! Balls! Slide!" They know. We get dressed, fed and out the door and are there when the doors open. Those first 15 minutes or so when it is just a few of us is so much fun! Everything is in it's place, ready to be discovered. I am starting to get to know the other mamas who have this Monday morning ritual and we chat and watch our children explore with glee. After an hour we go to "music class" and I used to fret that Sam and Amelia seemed to be the only ones who weren't interested in sitting on mamas lap and singing along...but that is what is so great about rituals. Today I watched them walk into the room and walk straight to the circle rug and sit down....they are learning. We end the music class with dancing to classical music with scarves and then leave with the promise of a snack in the car. MOnday morning is one of my favorite mornings of the week....though the rest are usually pretty great too.

Tuesday mornings bring our friend Sara who comes to watch the babes so that Joel and I can have a morning out together. It's a delight all the way around.

Wednesday mornings is a play time with our friends Pace and Satya, though our families have traded off being sick so often this winter that they have been few and far between:(

Thursday we have started frequenting story time more often with Anne and Vera. How cute are they?


Fridays is mom-to-mom group at church where I have been so encouraged lately by a small group of diverse mamas who come together to talk about mothering and the Lord and, lately, how to have true and lasting heart change.

Afternoons are spent at home playing, straightening, cooking, baking, etc.

Our daily rituals, they bring a structure that is comforting. How about you? Do you find that rituals help you in your days?

Happy Monday to you, whatever you do!
Jen

4 comments:

ann.e said...

A predictable routine feels so good! I love that first picture at the museum - so pristine and quiet :)

Esther said...

I think rituals are so important. We have things we do most days too, mainly school and preschool, but on Tuesdays Emma and I go to storytime while Zachie is in preschool. On Wednesdays we go to playgroup at our library. I know the children find our routines comforting, even though I sometimes long for a change!

Anonymous said...

My personal favorite is the Tuesday morning ritual. :)

Brian and Ellie said...

I bought your Seven Times the Sun book, Jen. Great ideas that allow for my more structured tendencies AND the freedom and beauty of unfettered time. Sadie does dance class on Mondays. She spins and Zeke scoots and I chase. Not relaxing, but fun! Love.