Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mayhem and Magic...

So, this evening Joel was grilling outside while the babes romped around the backyard. He came inside to get something for the grill and after a minute or two had passed I walked over to the back door to check on them. What I saw made me laugh so hard that it makes me giggle even now as I write it. Joel had pulled the car up to the garage and had all of the doors open so that he could vacuum it out. Well, when I peeked out the window I saw that Amelia was sitting in the drivers seat just going to town turning the wheel back and forth while brother boo sat beside her in the passenger seat looking straight forward with a big smile on his face! I couldn't believe it! There is so much that was funny about that picture. Sam happily sitting in the passenger seat while amelia took charge, the fact that they were both sitting down and not climbing all over the place....boy it was a funny sight. I thought " Joel must have put them in there" , but apparently they were sitting on the back porch steps when he came inside! The emergency break was on and there were no keys in sight, by the way.

Anyway, it just capped off a few days full of toddler mayhem. There was the morning I walked back into the kitchen to find Amelia raking salsa through Sam's hair with a fork while Sam poured an entire box of cheerios on the floor, or when Amelia was caught chugging a diet coke that I left too close to the edge of the table! Yikes!

Amidst all of the mayhem though, there is magic to be found as well. It is a wonder watching them learn and really start to soak things in. I am really excited for this next phase of learning colors and shapes and ABCs and new independence and expanding vocabulary and more make believe and making art. I know there will be new challenges, there always are, but I'll try and focus on the magic. There is lots to be found.
Jen

I'll leave you with some random squatting pictures from today:) Stirring and eating "soup", playing with pegs, Amelia (gasp) picking up her "mess":)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

when you told me this story I thought I was going to choke from laughing so hard. I could picture the whole thing clearly in my mind and of course Amelia was driving! :)
can't wait to see you all on the 17th
Lots of love,
mammie

Esther said...

I love when they squat like that. Makes me laugh when Emma does that. Wish I had that hamstring control!

Jocelyn said...

There is just something about squatting pictures... I LOVE it when Riyah squats to play or read- I guess it's just a complete sign of childhood wonder to me. LOVE those pictures of your little squatters!