Sunday, October 05, 2008

Our cloth diapering story...


I have sent out several long e-mails to friends and friends of friends wanting to know about our cloth diapering experience. So, I thought I'd write it out on a post and just direct people here and hopefully answer some questions. Don't hesitate to ask, though, if you have more questions. I LOVE to talk about cloth diapering. So, here's our story.

I had planned on cloth diapering for quite a while before the babes were even born--so I had a lot of research time! It just seemed to fit our desire to be as conscious with our impact on the earth as possible, keep toxins away from our babies bum, save some moolah, and have super cute diapers:)

So, we started with the cheapest possible route. That is using a cover (we used bummis super whisper wraps) with an old fashioned cloth diaper (called pre-folds) folded inside. Hmm. We had lots of leaks and poopy spills along the way. Plus, the covers left marks on their little legs:( I know people use this combo successfully, but it just didn't work for us. We also were given some kissuluv diapers, which are SUPER cute (and one of the most exciting packages I have ever opened! I think there were like 12 diapers in there. Oh my. I was in cloth diaper heaven.) They were great when the babes were tiny and didn't move around much, but when they started to be mobile, the bulkiness was just too much and since it was time to get the next size up anyway, we tried a different kind. Again, I know MANY cloth diaperers adore Kissaluvs and use them all the way through.

Next, I ordered some Fuzzi Bunz to try, and bam, we found our match! They are trim, we have had virtually no leaks, and they are much more convenient to me than a diaper that needs a cover. They are pocket diapers and they come with inserts. I ordered extra inserts and double up at night.

We go through about 4-6 diapers per babe/per day.

My Cloth Diaper Must Haves:

1. Small trash can with a pail liner. Every other day or so I take the pail liner out of the pail and throw the diapers into the washing machine (and the pail liner as well). I

2. Chemical free laundry detergent. I use Charlies soap (you have to buy it online too!) and it has worked great. It is no different than what I use for our clothes other than that I will sometimes add some baking soda for stains and smells. When I take the diapers out of the dryer I just make sure to put the inserts in so that everything is ready to go!

3. A diaper sprayer to spray the poopy off into the toilet. It has been very, very helpful.

4. Online resources like this and/ or a book like the Cloth Diapering Handbook.

5. A friend that is CDing along side you is a tremendous encouragement. Mine is Anne. You can read her CD story here. .


Now, I will say that it does take some extra effort and determination to use cloth. We use it about 75% of the time. Sometimes, like when the babes are going through an especially poopy period I will take some days off and not worry about it. Then we'll start up again. Sometimes I get burned out and will go a few weeks without using them at all. It is worth it to me though, and in a weird way, it's fun!!! People get waaaay into it, and that isn't me, but it does feel so good not to have to be constantly buying diapers and their little bums do look extremely adorable in their fuzzi bunz:)

Would love to answer any more questions you have. Must run as nap time is over but do let me know how things turn out if you decide to give it a try! Jenny

This picture was taken the day I received these new Fuzzi Bunz and soap in the mail. I was SOOOOOOOO excited. Just wait until you get your first package of cloth diapers...you'll see! I still get almost that same feeling as I fold a load of clean diapers, stacking them in colorful piles--fresh and ready for the next day. A little weird, I know.


Here is itty baby Sam in his Kissaluv and babylegs. I LOVE babylegs when using cloth. It makes diaper changes a breeze and make the bulk of cloth no biggie. (Though now that the babes are bigger, their fuzzi bunz are truly not at all a factor in what clothes they wear. They are not bulky at all.)


This picture totally cracks me up. Amelia's diaper is totally on backwards(I know it looks like Sam's diaper is too, but gdiapers actually velcro in the back--fuzzi bunz do not:) ! I don't know if I was super tired (very likely) or if I just didn't know.....Anyway, if I can go from putting the diaper on backwards to feeling completely comfortable with the whole thing...you can do it too!

2 comments:

T-Rae said...

Hi Jenny! I loved your post? You actually were a great help in getting ME started in CDing! :-) I have gone to BG 3.0s and LOVE them. I have about 9 so I can get through most of a day...and I agree...I LOVE folding them and getting them ready and that lovely feeling of doing something good for him, the planet and us financially! :-) I posted about it here: http://ourfamilychatterjournal.blogspot.com/2008/09/adventures-in-cloth-diapering.html

So a BIG thank you for the email you sent me a couple months ago!! We LOVE our CDs!

Cate Bruce-Low said...

wow! love that last picture. great post.