Sunday, October 19, 2008

Little moments...


We were in the kitchen, little Sammy and I. It had been a rough day for him. It has been a rough couple of weeks for him really. Lots of crying. Lots of tantrums. Lots of emotion. So, I've been trying to spend some alone time with him as much as possible. After all, he is my little one that has always needed more touch and time....sleeping with us through his first year, loving the sling....sometimes I forget this. His ways of showing his need for touch are more subtle these days. He'll just casually walk over and lean on you until you swoop him up into your lap. Or he'll fuss when someone else is in my lap and finally it'll dawn on me that he wants me all to himself sometimes. A twin doesn't often get mama all to themselves you know.

Anyhow, he and I were in the kitchen. He was on my back in the Beco carrier while I was making this yummy squash lasagna for friends who were coming over. As I stood at the counter peeling and stirring and feeling him playing with my hair and happily babbeling away, it was just one of those moments I wanted to tuck away. Tuck away to pull out and dwell on when the next rough patch comes. Just as I was thinking all of this, I felt his little lips kiss the back of my head. My heart just melted. How I need those little moments as much as he does. Little moments that make the emotionally draining times fade away.

Oh Sam, my little spirited boy.....I love you with all of my heart. I long to know how to love you better and it is ever the prayer of my heart these days that God will give me wisdom on how to train and guide and love you most effectively. As I continue to learn, little kisses on the back of my head, or happy babbeling in my ear or sitting contentedly snuggled in my arms are the little moments that remind me how precious this journey really is. Keep them coming, Sammers, keep them coming.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet Sammers, Grammy loves and misses you. Tell Melia and Echo I love them, too.
Hugs and Kisses,
Grammy

Shanyn Zink said...

I LOVE YOU SAM!!!!! Can't wait to hold you again, buddy!! Keep giving your mom kisses. Good job!!

Hey Amelia - I love you too. What are you exploring today??

Love,
Auntie Shan

Anonymous said...

I love that you've written it down so that you will never forget it. Sam what a sweetheart you are. You don't just want your Mama to love on you but you want to love on her too. love you,b

Sarah H said...

I've been eyeing that very lasagna recipe...how did it turn out?

Anonymous said...

Sarah--it turned out great! Tara and I did think it would taste even better with a bit of tomato sauce in there somewhere, but it was yummy just the way it was:) Jen