Thursday, October 02, 2008

Inspired.

That's the word I would use to describe Joelie lately. I mean, he has never lacked zeal for life, or hope, but he's been under major stress these past two and a half years. So, it brings so much joy to my heart to see him inspired, excited, fired up. Where is all of this coming from, you ask? God, I believe. It has been such a reminder that only He can match our hearts with His purposes. That is what he has been doing with Joel. Stirring him up. Shaking him. Using him to bless my heart, and I'm sure others as well.

Books are a major source of inspiration for Joel and I. For some it's music, for others it may be other things, but for us books it is. For the past couple of months Joel has literally been devouring books that have nothing to do (directly) with medicine.
The Bible.
Books by this author and this incredible man.
They have challenged him and ignited his desire to grow and serve. If you want to read more about the books he loves, I highly suggest you become a member of GoodReads. It's fun and you can read Joelie's seriously professional reviews of LOTS of books. Here's the link.

It is with great thankfulness that Joel has accepted a job with a general surgery team here in SLC. He began to wonder, though, why God had not opened doors for him to work for an under served population like the prison where he did a long rotation, or the homeless clinic where he applied, or a Community Health Clinic where he really wanted to work. He has become encouraged, though, that God will use this time of surgical training. To get us out of debt, yes, but hopefully for much more than that. For whatever purposes He has for Joel to use this training. Whether that is in overseas missions, serving the under served here in the states, or encouraging those around him at the hospital where he'll be working come November. Thanks for journeying with us during the time of Joel's schooling and for rejoicing with us over his graduation and now his employment. Our hearts continue to be ones of gratitude.

Anyway, he's excited. He's inspired. It's good to see the sparkle back in his eye. Jenny

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Yay! Congrats to Joel on his new job!!! I meant to ask you about it yesterday but in my stress I forgot :(. I'm sorry.

I look forward to out group tomorrow :).

Clay and Megan said...

Woohoo! Congrats, guys!

Court said...

Congratulations on the new job, Joel. I have NO doubt that the Lord has placed you there for a specific purpose.

Anonymous said...

Joel and Jennny ,
I am so proud of both of you for this great milestone in your life. no question that God's great hand is in it all. I am sure that you both will be serving Him wherever He has you and SLC is sure a great place to be doing that ! Enjoyed my visit and look forward to seeing alll of you again . Hopefully soon . Papa S AKA #1 Dad
P.S. Keep catching those fish !

the schilps said...

congrats joelie!! well done. i am so thankful that the years of official training are over, and the unofficial can begin.
abbe

ps. you do know that your favorite authors are both heavily involved in our church?! i guess there is no use persuading since you have a job now. perhaps something to think about for the future?!