Sunday, June 18, 2006

A walk in the woods...

We had a great hike today. It was one of those times where I just wanted to belt out , "THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUUUSIC!!!" I refrained, though, as I had already embarrassed myself by putting flowers in my hair and humming the tune as another couple snuck up on us:) Anyway, it was good to get the exercise, to be in the outdoors, and to have uninterrupted conversation time with Joelie. We talked about everything from homeschooling/unschooling to firefighting(long story) to natural birth (yeah, that was mostly me)to family happenings(happy engagement to my dear bub, happy touring w/ Sheryl Crow to John Mike, yippie for moving to wimberly to my parents, we miss and love you to Jim and Shari sharing love with orphans in the Ukraine, and love you too to Shanny, who is living life and holding down the family fort in TX while the rest of us are spread out all over the world:)to Hawaii hiking memories and beyond. Good times...







What a crazy experience to hike in snow with sandals! Other weekend festivities included breakfast Sat. morning at the coffee shop down the street, laughing heartily at Jack Black in "Nacho Libre" and grilling on driveway/patio. Here's a picture of Joelie and our yummy dinner...


Of course, today was also Father's day. I was thinking about dad on our hike and trying to think of a way to sum up his love for us.
My favorite picture of him is one on Christmas day in about 1992. John Mike was about 8 and dad gave him a Michael Jordan rookie card--which, of course, is every 8 year old's dream. The picture is of John Mike, in shock, hugging dad tightly. If you look closely you can see a single tear running down dad's cheek. That to me is the perfect picture of him. Joy in the giving. Thanks dad, for giving us your time and encouragement and love always. For hours of shooting baskets, catching softballs, reading poems, listening to dreams...words are not enough to express my thankfulness.

Hope you all had a great weekend too, Jen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jen,
It was great raising you kiddo's and I am thankful to have had a lot of time to spend with you. It was hard hearing some Father's Day testimonies of people who hardly saw their Dad's.So just remember that when you recieve our large estate later in life , he he.Cannot wait to see you soon !!
Luv You both DAD