Monday, June 26, 2006

If I ever get on a communal living kick again...

You are all free to remind me of the following things:

1.The Washer and Dryer: We share them with one family and one single girl that live in the duplex in front of us.Besides the fact that they are in a pretty scary basement beneath the duplex that I refuse to go in at night, they are really gross and dirty. Yuck. Before I finally wiped them down, they both had so much gunk (I don't even know where it comes from) that I felt like our clothes were cleaner before they went in!! Also, they leave their clothes in for hours and hours and our clothes have to wait in line.

2. The trash cans and recycle bin: We take them out and bring them in almost every week--even though we are all supposed to share the responsibility.

3. Our sprinkler: apparently we share that with our neighbor too because it always ends up in her yard and we have to retrieve it if we want to use it in our lawn!

So, I am rethinking the whole "oh, communal living would be soo great and save so many resources and create community and on and on...". I mean, I haven't totally given up on the idea but so far I am being pretty wimpy with these few shared resources! Ideally we would actually know our communal living neighbors and have a common goal for the living arrangement and so we could have some practical "how are we going to share" discussions, but still. Americans are so individualistic and its hard to change that in my own attitude. This little talk has made me want to try harder though. For goodness sakes, we are only sharing three things!! I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, not too much going on. Just getting ready for mom and dad to get here on Saturday--yippie!! We did go to a pro-soccer game on Sat. night--that was fun. Here is a picture of Joelie with two buddies from school taken after the game:

Benjamin on the left and Sully on the right.Both are great, interesting, yogaing, skiing, earthy type guys. Of course, the guy in the middle is pretty great too:)Guess that's all for now. Hope you all are doing well, Jen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you don't have to share a bathroom and telephone too !!!