Wednesday, February 12, 2014

One of the sweet ones...

Sometimes a mama just needs a sweet day where things mostly go right. I'm thankful for the one we had today!
Though I don't really ever question homeschooling the kids (it just fits for us right now. I enjoy spending my days with them and they tear up when I tell them they won't be able to homeschool in college;), sometimes I question the *best* ways to spend our days. How to best nurture their learning journey while nurturing a toddler and babe too- whew, it can be tricky! Then days like today come along and I feel like I took a deep breath of fresh air.
Last night I miraculously came up with some Waldorfy valentines ideas to make with the twins today. (Have I mentioned they just started going to a Waldorf program on Fridays. Um, so excited.) They were SO excited to roll some beeswax candles, so excited that we started at 7:33am- hehe. Oh Sammy, he's such a project guy. He worked so hard and long on his candles, the tags, etc. Pretty sweet. Amelia loved the chance to paint, to cut, to create a huge snake out of beeswax...ever doing her own project, that one! Before we knew it it was time to scramble up some eggs for lunch and start the process of getting ready for Wild Wednesday. Gosh, I probably haven't even mentioned Wild Wednesday here? It's a program at the Ogden Nature center that we try to go to most Wednesdays with the Cox's. It's pretty great and the kids love it! Today's program was called " Wild Love" and was all about how animals attract their mates. It was interesting,  gross, and amazing!;) Back home and dinner waiting in the crockpot. Ahhhh. Now I'm watching American Idol with Jubilee (does that cancel out the beeswax and watercolor?! hehe) after getting baby down to sleep and letting the kiddos play ( "we haven't played together all day!") a bit late. 
I think some reasons this day went well:
* I got six hours of sleep in a row last night.
* I drank a chai tea this morning (2 1/2 weeks with no diet coke- hurray!).
* I had a plan for our morning that I was excited about, and they were too.
* The plan was beeswax and water colors- how can that go wrong?hehe
* We spent time with friends. 
* We learned fascinating things about animals. 
* Dinner was made. Everyone liked it. Enough said!
Thanks be to God for smooth days, for breaths of fresh air, and for encouragement. I know it's all from Him. 
Hopefully more soon, Jen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun day! I just love the valentine ideas. That picture of Amelia studying the turtle...she was really paying attention. Oh dear...I just told them a sad story about my pet turtle. I hope that didn't cause any sad thoughts as they were learning. :)

Love,
Mammy

ann.e said...

what a great day! I hope you've been having more like it. If we were in slc I would homeschool with you in a SECOND! I keep thinking about it. You are doing a great job and your kids are so lucky to have a dedicated mama : )