Thursday, February 13, 2014

To my mama on her birthday.

Every year I say this, but it's just so true, that it is so fitting you were born on a day that celebrates love. Because you, who you are, celebrates love. Not the superficial, hyper sweet kind of love, but the deep down, nitty gritty kind. The Jesus kind of love. That is the kind of love I have known since I was born. It has been my example of what the word really means. 
You have cheered me on in every endeavour of my life. I mean cheered as if I were an Olympian! From gymnastics in the front yard, fun runs, jump rope teams, friendships, heartache, choir, marriage, pregnancy, childbirth, mothering. So many times, your belief in me is what has made me believe in myself. Seriously. And now I get to see you love my children. And, oh, they know your love is special too. From fairy picnics to hand made scarfs, to thoughtful full moon dates- it is a gift to see you be a Mammy. 
I have watched you love others well too. I have watched you love them abundantly, not just well. I have seen you forgive, I have seen you hope, I have seen you seek the best, I have seen you live out I Corinthians 13, really. In big ways. 
Oh mama, this life has not been easy for you. From birth to this very day, you have had so many trials, so many heartbreaks and so much pain. I was thinking today as I was washing dishes how fun it will be to see you in heaven with no more pain! Rest for your weary soul. Ultimate love for your heart. Not that I want you there anytime soon, though. My heart would shatter into a million pieces. 
I love you, mom. I'm thankful for you in more ways than I could ever write. I hope you feel loved today, because you are. Thank you for your consistent example of God's love and for always reminding me of His faithfulness, even through the poop that life brings. With all my heart, Jen
                    P.S. What am I wearing in this picture and look at those tiny babies!! 

2 comments:

stephanie said...

Oh my goodness, Jen, that is so beautiful, it brought tears to my eye. And so true! Love you and your mom!

ann.e said...

this makes me want to be a better person/mother!!!