Monday, January 28, 2013

The ups and downs of domestic life...

It always amazes me how wildly different pieces of the same day can be. I mean there are some days that seem nearly perfect and some that seem mostly terrible, but most are a real mix of wonderful/terrible. Today was no different.
I've been reading another book about Charlotte Mason style homeschooling and loving it, per usual. It really resonates with me and what I hope for our children's education to be. Another topic for another post! Anyway, one idea this author had was to have a "tea time" most afternoons with your kids, a special time where you share thoughts, read books, listen to good music, etc. I loved this idea, and though it sounded a bit lofty I decided to give it a try. So, today I turned on the classical music station around 3pm and Amelia and I made cookies while the other two played. I think Sam was cutting animal pictures out to make a book for Jubilee and Jubilee was eating yogurt. I have to be specific to remind myself how things such as " afternoon tea" can happen! As I was bringing warm cookies and milk to the table, Amelia asked me what I would do when they grew up. I told her I wasn't sure, maybe I would teach English again or help daddy more with his work. She and Sam both assured me that they would always live close and Amelia said she would " go out and find a husband and then bring him back so thy could live with me forever." Hehe Seriously, though, what sweet moments of domestic bliss! Snowy outside, warm and cozy inside, precious thoughts from the littles shared with the background of classical music. I even got a bit teary. Wonderful.
Fast forward to evening. Though we had a nice time walking and playing outside in the snow when Joel got home, I had no plan for dinner and the tea time mess and art that followed was still on the table. Jubilee was tired, hungry, and fussy. So was I. I pulled out some Mac and cheese to make and then heard a dripping sound and figured out it was coming from the dishwasher leaking into the kitchen floor. Joel got down to inspect it right as I started to smell something yummy and was thinking, " what could that be?!" . Unfortunately, as I looked toward the pantry I saw it was a broken jar of curry seasoning that had fallen down and somehow no one had heard. Shattered glass and a large, wet mess lay on the floor. Yay. Of course, through all of this Jubilee just wanted me to hold her and in the process of cleaning up and holding her, I saw her little finger was cut. Oh, you know, on and on it went. Terrible.
Eventually, though, all was calm. Kids were fed and are peacefully sleeping. Joel got off to his outreach event on time. I am laying in bed with my feet up, about to read more of my new book. Because I won't give up on the wonderful just because the terrible is mixed in. Lofty though some ideas may be, I hope never to give up on them ( although I do have to keep even lofty ideas very simple:). After all, I'd take tea time and sweet conversations with my children over a well planned dinner most any day. And one day, oh one day, we'll consistently have both:)
All for now, Jen







4 comments:

abbyjoy said...

I love this, Jenny! I'm learning so much about taking the terrible along with the wonderful and not letting the unplanned "ruin" the sweetness that comes with having a family. Always so refreshed by your thoughts :).

Kristina said...

Oh Jenny, I just love your ideas and love that you just go ahead and give them I try. Who needs "perfect" anyway?!
Miss you guys. A LOT.
Love, Kristina, now in Germany...

Kristina said...

Oh, Jenny, I just love your ideas and love, that you just go ahead and give them a try. Who needs "perfect" anyway?!
Miss you guys. A LOT.
Love, Kristina, now in Germany...

Kristina said...

Oh, Jenny, I just love your ideas and love, that you just go ahead and give them a try. Who needs "perfect" anyway?!
Miss you guys. A LOT.
Love, Kristina, now in Germany...