Monday, January 07, 2013

I read a book!

It's been way too long since I last read a book for fun. Months and months:/ So, when I saw that Joel had a new book on the table, I started reading it and finished it the same day ( yesterday)! Jubilee has been waking around 5am for the day-yikes- and so definitely needs a morning nap. So, the kids and I stayed home from church and I read through her nap and then she took an afternoon nap too and I read through that (for the most part), and then once Joel got home in the evening from skiing I finished it up. Fun!
Actually, it wasn't really a "fun" read, it was quite depressing. It was " Junky" by William H Burroughs, his story of addiction to heroin and other drugs. A
well written, somewhat fascinating (but mostly just sad ) account of his life as an addict. Man, addiction runs deep in our family and more than anything the book just made me thankful that drug/alcohol addiction hasn't been a struggle in my own life. I can't even imagine the grip it has on you when I think about the less devistating but hard to break addictions of my own (diet coke, iPhone,etc).
Anyway, my main point was, I read a book and it was great to be reading for pleasure again. Have you read any good ones lately?
Jen
Here we are this morning, another early one!

2 comments:

Julia said...

I've been trying to make reading a priority in my life these days, and it has been getting easier since Lewis has moved to his own room and moved more from a baby level of neediness to a toddler level. :) I just started this one, and I really think I'm going to like it!

ann.e said...

I read a book cover-to-cover in the last month and it WAS so fun! Something I used to do so much as a * youth * and that I've missed. [Plainsong - you probably saw me declare it on fb :)]