Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Box Play!

I was inspired by Teacher Tom's post (as I always am when I read his blog!) about boxes. So today, as Joel is out of town again (though this time he is coming back with the best gift of all--my mom! She's moving in! More on that soon:) I knew some fun was needed to be had by all. I wanted a strong day to start off our series of days with no daddy time in the evening.

In the end it was great! We went for a walk (scoot) around the block and then played with our friends at their house for the morning (boy I love friends!), had a yummy ice cream treat (I promise they didn't eat all of that ice cream...half of each is saved in our freezer:), and then home for rest time and PLAY!



I got out all of the boxes from the garage--hello Amazon!--and we colored them first and then I pulled them down the stairs in the boxes to the basement to shouts of "This is crazy! AHHHHH!" :) First the boxes were trains. Amelia was going on a journey "to Bethlehem, but Mary said she couldn't stay because the stable was closed." Haha. Sam was going to the Dinosaur Museum but he had to exit his train and take a ship to get there.
Then the boxes became a stable for Amelia to rest in because she didn't feel well. Sam made all kind of concoctions to help her feel better--mostly shark and fish soup--but alas, his patient was not very eager to feel better and stayed in the stable for quite a while.
Then the boxes were tunnels for their trucks. Oh, I must mention that yesterday while playing with their trucks I overheard Sam say to Amelia, " Don't worry. My driver texted the garage and they have more garbage cans there!" Oh my.





Anyway, all this to say, once again I was convinced about the power of playing with my children! For bonding, learning, creating, imagining, building, energizing, making days more than just "getting through."

Do I have the magic formula for allowing time for getting on the floor to play while making sure the house is tidy and dinner is made? Um, no. Working on it as ever, but no. We drank green smoothies and ate lunch meat and carrots for dinner--ha! It's okay, though, it was worth it to me for sure.
Jen

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

annnnnd THANK YOU... i now have a plan on what to do tomorrow morning. we're not too used to staying in so much (especially after some days of much excitement in Christmas celebrating) but mommy's not feeling too good, i want to make it a little while before we have complete sickness in the house again, and... we have had a LOT of laundry and house keeping things to do. SOOOO... YEAH!! boxes it is! thank you!
and... yes... i am constantly trying to find that balance between housework and playing... except i sadly admit that i am on the opposite side- tend to do too much around the house and not enough on the floor playing. so other than putting laundry in i think i'll get down in the boxes tomorrow too! :)

and... can you elaborate on your momma moving in SOON?!?... that's an exciting statement!