Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Moments.



This morning as they ran around the house finding "acorns" for all of their little stuffed animals, I may have gotten a little teary thinking about when they will move on to more "sophisticated" toys. May the day be far away that they lose interest in the world of their beloved animals. It fills me up to the brim to watch their imaginations in action. Really, truly.

As we were about to head out the door to go on our daily walk around the block (no matter the weather, I have to keep reminding myself we MUST get outside. Daily. No excuses:) I checked the mail and found a letter for them from their friend Vera. They were SO excited and clutched their letters during our entire morning running errands:)


Our two very important errands today included going to eat pizza and shop at the thrift store:) Our life is so harried! Haha.
We went to our favorite (gross/good) pizza place that has a fireplace (ahhh), kids eat free, they have those little IQ games with pegs that S and A love to play with...it's just great. They also have terrible arcade games on the way to the bathroom where Amelia learned the lovely word "shotgun" while walking past...Hmmm, I guess no place can be perfect! Anyway, while we were eating I had given them some pizza with meat on it and Amelia said, "I don't want this kind. I want what you're eating." So I said, "Well, Amelia you know what? My pizza had meat on it too but I just took it off!" She said, "CLEVER, mom!" as if I was the smartest person in the world.

Then in was onto the thrift store to gather some more Christmas goodies for the cousins. I may not be a handmade Christmas mama, as in you will find no felted manger scenes in our home nor will I be sending knitted sweaters and gloves to my nieces or nephew (I wish!), but this Auntie can thrift some pretty wonderful books and find some wooden cars for my kids to paint for one of their sweet cousins, if I do say so myself:) Love what you are, right?!

Anywho, while busily painting Sammy says to Amelia: " This will be brilliant Mena." She answered, "Yes it will Sammy." Oh, I loved it. Then Amelia proceeded to make one of her enormous messes in a way that you would just have to see to believe and then Sam drank a big gulp of the yellow watercolor paint thinking it was Orange Juice. Oh my. Everyone was okay and we have two very thoroughly painted vehicles.


A bit later I was in the kitchen making dinner with two whiny, tired kids sitting at the bar waiting not so patiently to eat. I was sighing some heavy sighs and thinking, "Even the good days are long." Then, wouldn't you know it? We were listening to Elizabeth Mitchell and "So glad I'm here" came on, and reminded me once again that even in the whiny moments, I'm so glad to be a mama and to spend my days with my children. It gave me the boost I needed to rise above the moment (added with two good recent conversations with Anne and Tara about showing true, Jesus love to our children), finish dinner, give baths, read lots of bedtime books, and tuck them in bed.

Here I am now. Tired, but good. Sharing some of our moments with you.

All for now, Jen

Oh, P.S. I forgot about listening to the Johnny Cash Christmas album in the car. You know how kids get hooked on a song and want to listen to it 4 million times? Well, today it was Hark the Herald Angles Sing. I have to say it was pretty amazing truly listening to it while driving through the snowy, whiteness. " God and sinners reconciled!" Amazing and hopeful and what I want Sam and Amelia to understand about Christmas. Why was "baby Jesus" born? So that God and sinners could be reconciled. Joyful, all ye nations rise!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny, my friend. I miss you !! I would love to hear that Johhny Cash song right now. Guess what? I will be in AZ soon to visit Michael's family for Christmas. That is closer to you then TX. I will yell out MERRY CHRISTMAS on Christmas and we will pretend you can hear me. haha
love,
anna

Anonymous said...

love this post, the whole thing!

and I'm going to itunes now to get johnny cash...

-anne

Joel said...

Johnny Cash.