Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"I played around our yard and talked to the fence posts, sung songs, and made the weeds sing..." Woody Guthrie







I'm reading the book "Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder". The babes and I have always gone outside a lot. It has been such a calming influence on all of us pretty much from the day they came home. Sometimes, though, I can be hesitant to do the "big" outings. The trips into the mountains. It takes a bit more planning/car time/missed naps, etc. Once I am in the midst of those majestic trees and clear streams, it is always worth it. Even on days like today when Sam had a complete meltdown after wanting to stick his feet in the water but realizing it was too cold to keep them in there. He didn't recover until he was back home in his bed with a bottle of warm milk and his blankie. We were off of their routine and it doesn't happen often. Sometimes they sail right through it. Other times, like today, it is a major toddler crisis. Still, it's worth the risk every now and then.

I don't think it is necessary to have amazing mountains at your fingertips in order to give children the outside time they desperately need. My outdoor experiences as a child much more resembled the memories that Woody Guthrie was speaking of. But we do have the mountains and I must take advantage of that. Lately, I have been inspired by the weather as well. The breezes of fall are making their way into our days and it is no time at all until the winter chill will make our sunny hikes say good-bye for while. Anyway, if my pictures are a bit nature heavy for a while, these are some of the reasons why:)

Love to you this breezy summer evening, Jen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Sammers...I'm sorry he had his little melt down but I am so impressed that you make the effort to get them out to these amazing places. I love the string of beads while hiking. Amelia is pretty cute doing her own hiking.
Love,
Grammy

Unknown said...

I love you nature lovers

Shanyn Zink said...

Even though we didn't get to do it a lot, the times we (Joel and I)were taken hiking by Dad and Mom, I think are the reason I instantly feel at home - something going way deep, back to that part of my brain, that says good times, fresh air, family in awe together - in the forest and on any hike. I literally want to touch and hug every green nature thing. And when I smell the sweet scent of some tree - can't remember the name, but it's usually only in mountain forests, I could, if I let myself, cry. For smells go back farther than my visual memory and I feel younger and immediately think of Washington state or maybe even Oregon, where I was born. I miss this part of me - nature. :) And that babies will always have this as part of them.
Love,
Nature Girl ;)

ann.e said...

what great pictures! we're enjoying our last day here in the wilderness - it's been amazing, vera loooooooooves it, there's just so much to discover and see. we'll have to go on a family hike when we get back! maybe sunday? we've missed you!

(don't ask why/how i'm on the internet this last night in the mountains...)