Saturday, December 03, 2011

Advent Conspiracy...

Joel and I are trying to give a bit more mindfully this year. After reading the Advent Conspiracy book, and by just being frustrated by the stuff in our own life, we decided to try and be a little more creative this year. Think of things we could make (don't get too excited family, you know my craftiness is limited:) or get for free or buy from people like my sweet friend Erin who is raising money for their adoption (take a look at her shop!). Anyway, it's been stretching. It takes more time and thought, but it feels right. Can you believe those numbers in the video? Crazy man. Just crazy. It is so hard in this culture and in my own heart not to get caught up in the consumerism (or even in the doing of traditions, cramming in fun holiday stuff, etc.) and edge out celebrating Christ and His love. I don't feel like we are doing great at it this year, but we are moving in that direction at least.
Hope you all are doing well ( we are s l o w l y coming out of our illnesses here at the Hunt house)! Jen

2 comments:

erin said...

I love that video Jenny! The numbers are astounding, for sure. It amazes me how stuff can quickly come, especially when trying to make sure everyone is covered. We are simplifying this year too, and handmaking a lot. It does take a lot of thought, especially for my nephews. Thanks for linking my shop. :) hugs!

the schilps said...

love that you posted this, jen! after year FIVE of advent conspiracy, i finally feel like this year, we hit a rhythm in my little family, and, it worked! it is so so worth the work. thanks for sharing this with others. looking forward to celebrating truth this year with you guys!
love
abbe