Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Nature study: Snails plus children equals love.








Oh my, this afternoon was the greatest. We had a fun play session with friends in our "new" playroom I set up in our (unfinished) basement (more on that soon). Then I took the babes for a trip to the pet store because we missed a reptile show at the library due to long naps. We used to frequent the pet store and the nature area next to it frequently when we lived in our old neighborhood but haven't been back in a while. Sam was running around the store everywhere saying, "Look Mama!! Fish! Frogs! A sea turtle! Hamsters! Look! They are so cute!" It was awesome. Then we went for a walk down to the water in "Hidden Hollow" next to it, and that's where the real fun began! Literally, snails were everywhere. Sam went into his zen nature mode and held handfuls of snails for the longest time. Amelia was hysterical and kept exclaiming, "They like me, they like me!" I think she must have heard me telling Sam how much snails like him. They always come out of their shells when he picks them up, like they know he is a gentle soul. On the other hand, they usually stay deep inside when Amelia is holding them, which is probably a very good thing! Today though, several of hers came out and she is much improved in her gentleness from when they would play with them in our old backyard. Anyway, they were just so fun and in their element down there by the stream.

I love, love, love watching my children play and especially when they are playing in nature. They are there truest, purest selves when we are there it seems, and it is just a joy to watch.
That's all for now,
Jen

3 comments:

Sarah H said...

How cool! Is that the place in Sugar House, kind of behind the shopping center with Old Navy and B&N?

Jenny said...

Yep Sarah, that's the place! It's fun because I have memories of them there since they were itty bitty babes and then toddling over the bridge and now running and climbing all over the place:) I just wish the hollow wasn't so hidden sometimes because I always worry about some creepy guy sneaking up on us!

Anonymous said...

They are having so much fun! They are the most nature loving babes!
Give them hugs and kisses from Mammy!