Friday, June 04, 2010

Confessions of a yard sale junkie...

I admit it...I love yard sales. A lot. lot. lot. lot. It was hard for me to admit that for a while. I mean, I work hard at moving toward simplicity and that means having less stuff, not more, right? I really don't want buying stuff to be my hobby, no matter how cheap it is!

However, I have grown to accept that as long as I set limits for myself, stick to things that we really "need" or will use frequently, it's okay! It's okay Jenny! So, in an effort to embrace this little "hobby" of mine I thought I would start sharing some of my favorite finds and my observations in a weekly post called , "Confessions of a yard sale junkie." The weather only permits them for a few months here anyway, so you won't have to endure this for too long.

I'll start by sharing a little story from last weekend. I was on a mission to find rugs and/or dark curtains. I walked up to a sale and saw a great looking green rug. I walked briskly over to it and started to look it over. "Land of Nod" (good), a little pilling (not good), "how much is it?" "Ten bucks"(I think that's pretty good). I think maybe I should ask for $8 when a man quickly walks towards me and asks if I'm buying the rug. It must be a great deal! He is going to take it and run if I don't! "Oh yes, I am buying it" I say confidently while hugging the rug a little closer. "Oh great, can I carry it to your car for you?" He replies.
Um, what? It quickly registers that this is his home and he was just being helpful, not trying to steal the rug away. Ahem.

Good thing I love it under our dining room table:)

Anyway, more funny stories and treasures found to come! Jen

3 comments:

ann.e said...

love it :)

you're definitely a pro and I feel so amateur! I really want to find some finds and have me a little list of places to visit tomorrow am. Maybe we'll run into each other and find ourselves fighting over wooden toy ;)

Megan Sandoz said...

Just reading this got my blood pumping. Oh, I love garage sales! I was just wishing we were closer to eachother so we could shop together, but maybe 2 such shoppers are not such a great team... I would have wrestled you for that rug :D Love you!

Jocelyn said...

LOVE it! i will live vicariously through you as i am not one who likes having to look for a good deal...i'm no good at it, have very little patience for it, etc. mt mom's best friend is AWESOME at finding deals- seriously insane about it- turning garage sale and thrift store items into amazingly wonderful pieces of beauty- she made my mom's diningroom table into a work of art with plates she found and painted!

anyways- looooove the rug in the previous post... and happy treasure seeking!!