Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Chicago!



Admittedly, I don't know much about music. It has just never been a huge part of my life (except for hymns and spiritual songs and songs from Annie and Newsies:) . I love music, but I don't love music--you know? I can only think of a handful of concerts I have been to--Rich Mullins, Jack Johnson, Willie Nelson, and the bands my brothers have worked for (older brother)/played in (younger brother). Just like my relationship with being a sports spectator--I mostly just love it if my brothers are somehow involved:)

However, when my mama said that her friend could possibly get us tickets to Chicago my ears perked up and songs and emotions came rushing forth. Here was my immediate memory upon hearing the word Chicago:

I am in 6th grade. I am at my friend Lesley's house spending the night and we are up late listening to music on headphones. She puts in one called Chicago and I think it may have been her older sisters' music (hi Court and Ashley!:) . I'm not sure if it was because the music belonged to her sisters or because it was all about dramatic break ups and unrequited love, but at that moment I felt so worldly and so...understood! Finally someone was singing about these feelings that my 6th grade hormonal, boy crazy heart was pumping out. I grabbed a piece of paper and wrote down as many lyrics as I could. I think I memorized the songs instantly. I may or may not have begun writing letters to my unrequited loves in school, working in some of the lyrics. Oh my.

You see, I don't have many of these musically inspired memories. So, this Chicago memory was fun and I suddenly could not stop singing all of those lyrics that were stained into my heart forever:)

We got to go to the concert and it was so. much. fun. It was a beautiful evening at Red Butte Gardens. The people watching was great (though I am not a "dance your heart out" kinda girl, it is so fun to watch people that are:) and they really did put on a great show. Such a fun memory with my mama and Joel, though mom and I were much more into it. The babes were having a fabulous time at their friend Vera's house (thanks again Anne!) and it was just a great time all the way around.

That's all for now,
Jen



3 comments:

Court said...

Oh Jen - it was definitely my CD. And I'm so happy to know that I played a part in one of your first music memories :) I LOVED Chicago and still do. Oh, I listen to those songs, and I can tell you "who/when/where/what" was going on with that song. I think I might have to go and dig out that CD tonight :) So glad that you had fun

The Klentzmans said...

I just introduced Mia to Annie last week and she loved it. I sang all of the songs sooooo loud. : )

Tammy said...

SO jealous! I would have loved it...I'm a Chicago fanatic...but the ticket price was steep, and I had free passes to the Gina Bachauer piano competition, so I enjoyed that instead :).