Monday, August 24, 2009

Down by the river...

So, today I took the babes to Sugarhouse park to play at the playground. As I have written before, playgrounds are NOT my idea of mothering fun. I would much rather find a big field and let them explore anytime. However, now that they are a bit older it isn't as stressful to try and keep up with them, make sure they aren't falling off of high surfaces etc. and so I take them in an effort to be well-rounded:)

So, last time we were at Liberty Park Amelia had a scary incidence on a slide with big kids. I think they may have pushed her when she wasn't going fast enough and so she got really scared and upset:( So, when I announced that we were going to the park today she said, "Melia not slide. Kids not nice." So sad.

I'll just fast forward in this story to the point this afternoon where Amelia was headfirst down the highest tunnel slide frozen in fear because two big kids were behind her. She was freaking out and so I finally climbed up and pulled her out by her feet. When we got down she said, "Sambo" and I told her we would go get him. Then she pointed and I looked out to see Sam halfway across a big field heading toward a river (or maybe it's a stream)!!! I really thing he has an internal radar pointing him to the nearest rushing water. So, we caught up with him and (after we sternly talked about him not leaving a playground without mama) headed toward the river. And there we sat for a long, long time. They sat perfectly still while I waded into the water and brought them piles of rocks to throw back into the water. Every time I would bring them a new handful of rocks Amelia would say, "Thank you mama" and it just warmed my heart.

Anyway, all of this to say that I think we mamas and children each have our places where we thrive. For some it might be at playgrounds meeting new mamas and kiddos, for others it may be at play groups. But for us, we'll take a river bank and a pile of rocks, a big hill to climb or a field to lay in the sunshine, puddles to jump, bugs to find. It has been this way from the very beginning of our journey together. Fussy hour? Head out doors.

These are the places where I feel like all of our souls are being fed and where harmony is pretty easy to find. Except when it's time to leave. That's another story altogether.

All for now, Jen

5 comments:

Court said...

Oh the time to leave...yes, I know that story all too well :) I'm not a big fan of the playgrounds either, and I just have one! Too much commotion and too many possible scenarios...most of which I probably couldn't find my way up to fix ;). Anyhoo...so glad that you 3 had so much fun with the rocks and river.

Kelly said...

love your new banner! the kids running in the field remind me of the opening of Little House on the Prairie. :)

Anonymous said...

Have you ever needed to cry but just couldn't??? So, now I've cried. I sure understand that quiet spot that just seems to calm the soul.
Love you,
Mammy

Unknown said...

Oh how do I understand your feelings from this post. The only way I take my twins to the playground is it is totally enclosed with one entrance in or out (or of course another adult is with us). I am so afraid of something happening in the split second I am dealing with the other. So glad you can find peace and joy in just nature! Must take some of your cues and try this as well. Although we do just go run in the yard or paths around here and that does worlds of wonders.

the bakks said...

I loved this post...I try to love playgrounds as well, but there is just too much to get over to get to love. :) My pregnant self caved and took Josie to chic-fil-a because I thought it would be a special treat to play in their indoor playground for her and a special treat for me to sit still and be sick while she played for a bit...SO WRONG. Long story short I ended up, in a less than long skirt, having to climb UP the slide (awesome) because we were experiencing an Amelia-like situation with "big kids" up there. The screaming was unbearable so skirt and all, I went for it. I wanted to push those big kids down the slide! haha Needless to say, not only will we not be going to any playgrounds anytime soon, we won't be going to chic-fil-a either :) Rivers and fields it is! Just wanted you to know that I feel your pain!