Sunday, December 30, 2007

Um, wow!

We made it. We are home and it feels so good to be here. The babes are such troopers and after a small battle with Continental to let Shari help me get to the gate (we won-I think the TSA supervisor saw the desperation in my eyes), the flight went well. Amelia slept almost the whole way and Sam slept a long while too and then just searched around for people who would give him eye contact so that he could smile at them:)

Jim and I had a talk on the way to the airport about some tragedies we had recently heard about and about how life can be so darn sad sometimes. Then we talked about the deep joy that life brings too and how rich our days can be because of that. Well, I experienced that on a small scale on our travels that very night. The steely, uncaring, tired eyes of the Continental lady who didn't even look up at me and said "NO" when I told her my situation. That was a bit tragic. Then the big, teddy bear TSA supervisor who heard my plight and said, "Watch this" and went over to that same lady and got Shari a pass. That was pretty joyful. Then the nice guy who whizzed us to our gate in his cart and was so helpful and kind. Then the people who looked up in fear as I walked by their seat with one baby in a sling and one in a carseat, their eyes screaming "Please don't sit here!!!" Okay, I can't blame them. But then there was the nice, fresh faced college guy who did sit next to us and sat right down and asked Sam his name. Then he said, "My very, very best friend's name is Sam so I like you already." We liked him too. We also liked the man who insisted on helping me and carried Amelia in her carseat all the way to the baggage claim and into her daddy's arms.

We got home around 1:30 am and Joel got the babies to sleep while I crashed into bed. The "um, wow!" is my reaction to the winter wonderland that is Salt Lake City right now....here is some eveidence for you. Hope you are warm and cozy wherever you are, Jen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you made it, Jenny. Thank you for the update, because I was very concerned. You are such a supermom and I am glad to hear that you were surrounded by some decent people who were willing to help a little. Happy New Year! Love ya, anna

the schilps said...

as casey and i made our own journey in a plane yesterday morning, i once again thought of you. i thought about how you were safely home and wondered at the little miracles and blessings you encountered on the way. thanks for sharing them. so glad to know you are home, safe and sound, once again in your nest.
love to you.
abbe

Court said...

So glad to hear that you made it back...see, there are good people out there! Love the pics of the snow...as I sit here debating whether or not to turn the A/C on?!??! Hope you guys have a wonderful New Years...can't wait to see how God is going to bless you guys in 2008.