Saturday, February 16, 2013

Charlotte's Web...

I had to hand the book tearfully over to Joel to finish with the kids this evening because this hormonal mama could not do it. Oh, the sadness when Charlotte dies...I had forgotten!
I had told the kids that when we finished the book they could watch the movie, so tonight as we started nearing the end, they kept cheering for more and we ended up reading for, I don't know, a long time! And then, suddenly, we were finished and they were so excited to watch the movie and it was bedtime. Oops. Jubilee watched about five minutes and then went to bed and now the rest of us are piled into bed with popcorn watching the Dakota Fanning version....super cute!
I've loved hearing the kids being reminded of Stuart Little during our days after reading it..anytime they see pictures of mice in books or see something teeny and " Stuart size", so I'm looking forward to hearing what they remember and take from this story. Such a rich one!
Guess that's all for now. I probably won't be great at writing about all that we do in this homeschooling journey, but recording the literature we read ( at least the chapter books) comes more naturally and so hopefully I'll take little snippets of time to do it!
Hope your weekend includes some good reading too:) Jen




4 comments:

Julia said...

Grace just read Charlotte's Web! I decided to warn her ahead of time that the ending was sad, mainly because she had QUITE the breakdown when she was reading the Ramona books and she got to the part where Picky Picky died. She is such a sensitive soul; I think some warning helped her. :)

Jenny said...

Yes, Emily had reminded me of how sad it was, and I had warned the kids ( even told them who it was that died), and they did ok- it really was ME that had the hardest time trying to get through reading it to them!

ann.e said...

oh man, I forgot about when she dies! I cried buckets and buckets of tears.. probably couldn't handle reading it out loud either :) You should see me * every * time I read the Velveteen Rabbit!! We have finally finished almost 2 chapter books - I was going to post soon too :)

very sweet pictures - Jubilee looks like a little girl!!

the schilps said...

i love the barbie perched in the picture :) even barbie feels sad sometimes...