Saturday, June 04, 2011

Yellowstone.


So, for Memorial Day weekend we decided to take a trip to Yellowstone. Joel and I had been once before and we thought it would be so great for the kids to experience it. Though we did have a good time, the weather was pretty terrible;/ Rainy and snowy most all of the three days we were there. Sigh. Dare I admit that I cried as we drove into the park? The kids were so excited about everything and I was just thinking, "You can't even see anything because of all of the stupid snow!! I want you to be able to throw rocks in the river and hike in the forest, etc." I was just super disappointed and so ready for some sunshine. Thankfully, the rest of the family are such troopers.

Joel always looks at the best of things when we are traveling and just loves it for the adventure. At one point we had driven what seemed like forever to get to Mammoth Hot Springs, the kids were tired and crying because he had told them they couldn't have suckers at the store we had just stopped in. I mean really, really crying. It was raining and cold and I would have totally just given up on the plan to see the springs, but Joel was like, "Come on guys, this is going to be great!" and just starts getting them out of their car seats screaming and crying like nothing was going on! Ha. Thankfully it was fun, but we didn't push them any further after that:)

Anyway, it was fun just being together and we did have some sunshine. Sam and Amelia are such great little travelers and I love watching them create fun no matter the weather--something I could really learn from:) Here are some pictures for ya...
We got to see Old Faithful...so amazing! Loved hearing all of the international accents around us as we waited.





Joel read the kids a book called " Who poops in the park? " or something like that and the next day they were on the constant look out for poop. I could tell people would wander over to see what all the commotion was about ("DAD!! LOOK!!LOOOOK!!") and it was so funny to see how they just kind of veered away when they saw that the commotion was over buffalo poop:)


All of the hot springs are fascinating....the whole place is just a wonder. I am joining Joel in being such a big fan of National Park vacations. Though I was dismayed that the first display I saw when walking into a shop in the park was an "I'm a pink park princess" display with pink crowned teddy bears and such (WHAT?!) , for the most part the focus is on animals (we saw lots and lots of Buffalo and their calves, elk, a bald eagle, and pikas (we think) , natural beauty and the wonder of the surroundings.
I'm looking very forward to going back next year, only this time we will make sure winter is long gone before we arrive:)
All for now, Jen

2 comments:

Charlie and Kari said...

Hi Jenny! Way to go on getting out to Yellowstone...I went there as a kid and still remember the wonder and beauty as I know your precious kids will! I am so excited about your pregnancy, and yes we are close! We have decided to be surprised this time so no news on that end, but so far baby is doing good. I was thinking about you today and wondering how it's going...so excited you are having a girl! What a beautiful family God is creating over there in Utah! Let's keep soaking up the summer sun so we can carry it with us the upcoming year! Love you! Kari

B's Dad and Mom said...

As always love to see your pictures and read your descriptions of adventures. It made me want to go see Yellowstone...haven't ever been! You are such a beautiful person, inside and out!!! Sandy Wallace