Sunday, April 30, 2006

I think we're in shock....

A big YIPPIE for the new member of the Hunt family.......


Meet Sammy the Subaru!

Yep, after having numerous cars that were as full of problems as they were character, we decided to bite the bullet and get a newbie. It is something we've talked about for years, especially while sitting in mechanic shop, after mechanic shop, after mechanic shop. So, today we say goodbye; not only to our beloved past vehicles but to a whole way of thinking that went on waaaay to long. The "It looks so neat and has so much character and I'm sure after we fix this one last thing it'll run perfectly" way of thinking. It's hard to let go, but for now we must...so goodbye to...

The Saab-- my first car that I loved sooooo much. It had these neato heated seats and even though the ceiling liner sagged so much it would get in my eyes, I cherished my time with the Saab.

Jack-- Joel's brown Ford Ranger with orange racing stripes that he drove while we were dating. Jack was a good truck, though at the end of our time with Jack,the enormous explosions that came when he back fired could be a bit embarrassing.

The Wagoneer-- I loved the way the wagoneer smelled with its old leather seats. I love the way it rumbled and felt so good and sturdy when you were driving it. Unfortunately, it got 11 mpg and needed a new transmission:(

The Mazda Navajo-- This was a no character SUV that we probably should have kept. It ran fine, but no, I had to feast my eyes on a vehicle I was so sure Joel would love (he was already in Hawaii and I was meeting him there)that we sold the Navajo and bought...

The ridiculously big Jeep CJ7-- I'm not kidding, guys, this thing was enormous. It was so jacked up that when we drove next to a bus we would be at the same level as the passengers! I don't know what I was thinking because I was the one doing most of the driving in Hawaii and it took me forever to even get up into the drivers seat. It was also a standard and on more than one occasion while at a stop light on the top of a hill, I signaled the car behind to back up b/c I just knew I would roll back and smash them to pieces. We had problem after problem with the Jeep and couldn't sell it to save our lives. It was so much fun to drive it through those green, green mountains though...

The Toyota corolla--This was a fabulous little 1987 beater. It lasted us a good three years in Hawaii and then promptly died right before we left. We miss little yoda and were soooo thankful for how well it ran.

The Volkswagen Vanagon-- Oh, the vanagon. What a love/hate relationship. When it ran we had so much fun with it, especially in Hawaii. The problem is that most of the time it wasn't running and we poured more money into that van than I'll ever admit because we loved it so. The curse of the van continues as dad is still trying to sell it for us in TX!

The Mazda Protege-- Another great little car that we'd still be driving if we weren't in a place with so much snow in the winters and hills everywhere(its a standard). It was a perfect car for our year in San Marcos!

So farewell, you little pieces of our history. You have provided us with many, many adventures and we miss some of you often. On the other hand, we are pretty darn excited to welcome Sammy into our lives and hope many of you,people reading this, will get to enjoy the new Subaru with us when you visit us in this most beautiful place.


In other exciting news (and so this post won't be entirely materialistic:)... we have found a great church! Its called New Song Presbyterian and its about 1/2 a block from our house. Joelie and I both teared up during the service this morning in thankfulness for how faithful God is in allowing us to find a church so quickly that we feel so at home in. Thanks to those who have been praying with us about that. We feel so welcome there, and though this isn't the most important thing, they still sing hymns! It's so refreshingly simple and they even have a folk music sound with a mandolin and a violin. We love the teaching and I can't say enough how kind and warm everyone has been. You can check it out at www.newsong.org

Guess that's all the news for today...more soon....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting Sammy! Tercella is getting a little long-in-the-tooth, so I might be getting a new addition to the family as well. God bless, and thanks for the work distraction.
--MattJ

Anonymous said...

Jenny, I love your new car, and its name is so cute. Now you need a puppy to carry ride around with you. Your descriptions of past vehicles were quite funny. It's very difficult to part with car friends and certainly PEOPLE friends! I miss seeing you, Kiddo, but when I audition for THE choir, I'll stop by for a ride in the new car. Love ya. Judye