Sunday, April 29, 2012

The ordinary beautiful.

I've been reading " One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. Have you read it yet? Lots have been touched by her words and sometimes when things go "viral", I tend to shy away. Maybe that's pride and many times silly because I just miss out on great things. I mean, what's the glory in that?:) Anyway, it's a book about the transforming power of thankfulness. To God. Seeing His goodness and grace in the midst of our messy lives and naming them. As in, writing down these gifts from God. 1,000 of them and beyond. I'm on number 14 I think:) Today I was reminded of how the ordinary beautiful moments can easily slip away, the ones that don't get written down or photographed because they aren't new or exciting- they are just the daily. The ones you tuck away or that quietly warm your heart. Like this. Sammy watching Jubilee play- finding joy in her exploration and discovery. It was just a few minutes, but looking through the lens of thankfulness helped me really see it. And so I wrote it down as
14. A big brother finding joy in his baby sister.
There is beauty to be found and I believe it is from a God who loves us, even in our messiness and even in suffering. I hope more and more to see Him in the ordinary beautiful all around me,
Jen

1 comment:

the schilps said...

two things. number one, and most important :) lucy had little jubilee's dress! it was my favorite!
number two, well done reading the book, even if she does go on about the moon for too long :) there are a great many treasures to take away!
loves