Thursday, September 08, 2011

A little empowerment goes a long way...

I've had a few discouraging visits at my midwifery office lately:/ It has been two times, both have been with my midwife had to be out of the office. I won't go into the details, I'll just say that I left feeling more anxious about laboring and giving birth than I have ever in my pregnancy! Both times I received very unsolicited and discouraging opinions on VBACs and on unmedicated births, both of which I am planning and and very much hoping for. From midwives! I left speechless both times. Well, not really. I had plenty to say when I called my "support crew" of friends and family who I know are cheering me on and believe an unmedicated VBAC is very possible, even in a hospital setting. Anyway, another place I ran was to Ina May. Oh, that midwife! So full of calm and wisdom and encouragement. Please, if you know someone that is fearful and anxious about their birth, send them some encouragement in the form of Ina May's books!

I am aware that birth, just like anything in life, can quickly go in directions you were not hoping or planning towards. I mean, my last birth was an urgent csection at 29 weeks gestation for goodness sake! However, I have also learned that if you go into a situation like labor or breastfeeding sort of/kind of hoping for a certain outcome, you probably aren't going to get it. If I would have gone into breastfeeding twins listening to all of the nurses and doctors who were like, "You can try breastfeeding twins, but don't feel bad if you need to supplement. Don't feel bad if you feel the need to switch to formula, etc." No, I blocked them out completely!! I listened to those who were empowering my choice and desire to breastfeed twins, believing in me, cheering me on, etc.
Same with labor! Of course, if something goes awry and it is truly necessary for medical intervention, I am a very level headed mama and will act accordingly. However, if I come to you saying I desire an unmedicated birth, why start discouraging me about it when labor hasn't even begun? Ugg, so frustrating!
Anyway, I spent my afternoon rest time watching Ina May videos on You Tube and feel much encouraged. That birth is a sacred experience. That it matters how babies come into this world. That our bodies are indeed made for it. That birthing pain is purposeful. On and on. Here are two of the videos if you are interested...thanks for listening to this little rant:) Jen

4 comments:

joyce said...

You are so right, Jen! They should be encouraging you in the direction you are choosing! Go, Jenny! :)

The Ford Family said...

Oh, sweet Jenny. It is amazing where sources of discouragement can come, especially when the Lord leads us to new territory. But, when He does, HIS empowerment comes from amazing places too!!!

I praise the Lord because I have been blessed with various birth experiences so I can identify many:
1) emergency c-section
2) attempted vaginal (kind of), c-section (dr. wanted planned c-section)
3) vaginal birth with epidural
4) vaginal birth without medication!!!

Feel free to contact me if you need ANY encouragement. Bravo to you and your hubby for choosing midwives!

ann.e said...

I do hope you write a letter! I might write one for you and just not send it :) That first video was definitely encouraging and calming and even exciting! I'll watch the second now...

anna said...

It is very possible!

My sister-in-law had her first baby emergency c-section and then the other SEVEN naturally.

love ya,

anna