Monday, February 07, 2011

Theme of the week: Hearts!

So, I know I haven't been very faithful in blogging about pre-school themes, but better late than never! So, this week at school they will be learning about hearts! The body part, the shape, and the emotions that come from the heart will be discussed, danced about, explored through art and music, etc.

At home, I'm keeping it pretty simple. Mom has already been doing Valentines crafts with them (another area where Mammy excels and mama happily takes a back seat!) and today I pulled out some books about love and Valentines day. Also, tonight before bed we read in one of their little devotional type books about what love looks like in action. How do we love our family, friends and neighbors?

Love is something to get excited about! Sure, Valentines day can be annoying and expensive if we make it that way, but this year I want to keep it simple. Use it as a reminder to think about true, nitty gritty love. The love of God shown through people in our lives here on earth.

Shown through my mom when she came and completely, unselfishly, unabandonly loved and cared for us when the babies were born (and a million other times in my life).
Shown through Joel when he comes home from work, tired and bleary eyed and takes out the trash or loves on the babes or one of the hundred other things he has on his plate.
Shown when a neighbor calls and said she made some extra dinner and wants to know if she can share (yes, every time:).
Shown when a sweet Sam holds his sisters feet "so she won't fall in the potty" as he knows she is a bit on edge in public restrooms.
Shown when we mamas hold our children close when we most want to push them away.
Shown in millions of little ways, every day, across the world; helping us catch a small glimpse of the power of the true love of Christ.

So, there ya go. Preschool theme for the week is hearts. A theme I guess I must really love:)

Yes, in the first picture Amelia is practically sitting on my head. I love it because this is such a perfect picture of her. She WILL be close to you and if you say you don't want her to sit in your lap, well, this is what you get:)






All for now, Jen

3 comments:

Dee D said...

You need to start a daycare yourself! :)

ann.e said...

great post!

shoot, all I was thinking about valentine's day and vera was that I hope she doesn't eat too much candy :) I will definitely steal your idea and talk to her about what it means/looks like to love others!!

capturing said...

Loved reading this! Amelia on your head is too cute!