Tuesday, May 23, 2006

You

Standing in the rain
in your cowboy hat and jeans
You are alone in a field of grass
Understanding what God means

Sitting in a crowded restaurant
Your head bowed before your father
Others rushing by
To them details are only a bother

You are different though,
You're a rugged, cowboy poet
I believe in you
Though I may not always show it

So promise me my love
No matter what this world brings
You'll keep standing in the rain
In your cowboy hat and jeans

--Written for Joel when I was 16 and googly eyed over this unique, kind, full of life boy that has been my husband now for seven wonderful years! Happy anniversary to my adventurous, full of life and laughter, compassionate and strong Joel. You are the color in my life and no words could ever express my love for you.Jen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun to get to read that poem. Remember the list of what you wanted in a husband? I believe you wrote it in Jr. High and it fit Joel to a tee (is that how you spell tee?) I knew he would be the color in our family the first time we went out to eat at the Mexican Restaurant! Do you think anyone else had ever gotten up with the girls that went from table to table singing and helped them perform? We are all, as a family, so thankful for May 22,1999.

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome, Chillytoes. I love the line about the details -- really describes you both, marching to your own tune in God's Light regardless of your surroundings. Thinking of you two always makes me smile!

You know, I'm going to write a poem about my two favorite ladies "Riding in the rain / In the back of my convertible"..... ;-)

/kevin

Anonymous said...

So sweet mama--he is a character isn't he? Love you! Thanks for all of your comments--I love it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kevin! I love that memory...oh Hawaii. What an amazing place and what a perfect time we had with you and Beth when you were there. Ever dreamed of vacationing in Utah?

Anonymous said...

Vacationing in Utah? Abso-dang-lutely! After we get back from Guanajuato the end of this month we'll start figuring out when we can get up there.... (jealous?)

/kevin