Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Life together.

Homeschooling presents the challenge and joy of the kids having an enormous amount of time together as siblings. It presents the challenges of kids needing space from each other and having a hard time getting it, of a mama juggling school age needs and preschool age and below needs simultaneously, nearly all of the time. It is, without a doubt, challenging. However, there is a joy side to it that just can't be ignored and is, in fact, one of my very favorite aspects of the homeschool life. 

As I write this, Sam has created a space in his room for he and Amelia and Jubilee to use during rest time today. He has books and bean bags in one area for reading, a "craft section" with a box of craft supplies in another section, and a basket of stuffed animals waiting to be played with in another "section". All on his own he did this and then went to the girls room and invited them to come and they giggled with delight. I mean, thrill my heart! 

All of this time together and margins in our days means that the relationships between them that are naturally easy, become even closer. And the relationships that do not come easy (there is one dynamic so far that has been hard from the get go) have the time to work things out, find ways that make the interaction smoother, learn to have more grace with each other. Each true kindness that I see from that big brother to his little sister (and they are happening more and more) warms my heart in a big way. It's progress of the very best kind. 

So, as I sit here listening to the quiet buzz in Sam's room, my heart is one of thankfulness. This road is not always easy or harmonious, but watching these relationships grow and deepen is a real privilege, and one I pray for wisdom and patience as I help them navigate what it means to live life together. 












All for now, Jen

No comments: