Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thoughts at the end of the day....

Today was a good one in the domestic arena (minus dinner time when I had pooped out and we ate, are you ready for this, instant oatmeal. Oops.). This morning we were getting ready for a visit with my dear friend and mentor Rebecca.
I made pumpkin donuts with the help of the littles, the main level of the house was tidy (doing wonders for my soul), and at one point Amelia said," Mama, after I clear the table can I keep finger knitting?"  Um, domestic bliss!:) While the baby napped and Jubilee looked at a book and the kids worked on a finger knitting project I even got in a chapter of, " Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mother in a  Hurry", which I am loving. A shorter version of Simplicity Parenting it seems. Oh anyway, we had a sweet visit. Love this picture Amelia took of Rebecca. How I hope to be a listener like this.
We had a good afternoon reading an American girl book, walking down and playing at the park, watching Little Bear ( Jubilee is such a fan and I'm so thankful the big kids will still watch and enjoy it too:)....a lovely day, a fussy evening, a nice ending reading aloud more and all getting in bed early. 
Creating a peaceful home, growing in the area of home making, and loving my family well- these are some of my biggest aspirations, and days like today (even though there were mistakes aplenty and " I need thee every hour" was on my heart all day) are encouraging. We have to move towards what we want, right? One day at a time. Our home is like *my* classroom in this season of life. I find my deepest joy here, feel my greatest frustrations, know that God is refining me and blessing me and speaking to my heart in the midst of dishes and discipline. I'm so thankful that in a world of pain and deep hurt and sobering issues, I am being given the gift of days that include making pumpkin donuts with six year olds, conversations with dear friends, hearing new words spoken from a toddler's mouth, giving sisters a bubble bath, wearing a chubby and adorable baby on my back as i move about the house, watching my husband make conkers out of chestnuts after he gets home from a long day's work...
You know, I'm exhausted. I haven't slept through the night in over six months. This mothering young children thing is no joke. But it is a gift. And it is a joy. And boy, I only need to watch the news one evening or even think of the pain happening in the lives of those close to my own heart, to get some perspective. 
Yes, this day was a sweet one. And after I go downstairs to get something to eat, because that instant oatmeal just isn't doing the trick, I'll go to bed with a very thankful heart. Love to you! Jen

No comments: