Monday, March 12, 2012

Nature study: A Robin.




The kids woke up from a late nap today and we headed out to the front yard to soak up the last bits of sunshine. I grabbed the basket of Spring books I just just switched over from winter, and we settled in on our blanket. Then Sammy noticed a bird on top of our next door neighbor's house. "I think it's a Robin! It's a Robin!" He exclaimed and he was right! I told him to run get his binoculars and (I just couldn't help myself), I ran to get the little nature study on robins that I had just printed out! I grabbed some colored pencils on my way out the door and we all sat and watched him for the longest time! We each sketched him (ahem, sooooo embarrassing, my drawing skills, but the kids were both mad that mine was "better", so at least they don't know-yet:), and talked about his features and then tonight before bed we read in our Burgess bird book the chapter about Robins. Oh my. It was fabulous.
Even though our drawing pages kept blowing away,
even though it got chilly near the end,
even though Jubilee was fussing and needed to go to sleep....
It showed me that our nature studies don't need to be these majorly planned out events, though it was nice to have some guidance materials available when the opportunity arose.
Ahhh, spring is near. God's creation is amazing, down to a simple Robin, and studying it with my children...almost nothing better to me in this world.

Oh, and speaking of children, I watched Anne's this morning and so I had three 4 year olds, a 16 month old and a 6 month old:) They all did great, thankfully, and it was fun to see them all in action at their different stages. Eden was so super sweet to Jubilee. "Baby!Baby! Baby!" :)



All for now,
Jen

2 comments:

Barb said...

I really had fun reading your robin and your moon entries! What a great gentle way to get your nature study going to the next level. Keep building on their interest and in reaching their hearts....you are on a great road to such a wonderful adventure.

Keep sending your links and I will include them in the OHC blog carnival. :)

It is always nice to have new faces.

Zonnah said...

Thank you for the reminder that it does not have to be a planned out event.