Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Caterpillar.

Brown and furry
Caterpillar in a hurry;
Take your walk
To the shady leaf or stalk.

May no toad spy you,
May the little birds pass by you;
Spin and die,
To live again a butterfly.
-Cristina G. Rossetti



Sam and Amelia's friends and family know them so well and gave them such perfect birthday gifts! Our friends the McKinney's gave them a butterfly garden and we had such a great experience with it! In fact, I don't know who found it more facinating, me or the kids!

You get to watch teeny caterpillars grow and grow, watch as they hang and harden into a chrysalis and then see the Painted Lady butterflies emerge! The whole process took about two and a half weeks I think.

When the butterflies emerged I assumed the kids might get to hold them for a second or two before they flew away, but the butterflies stayed on their fingers forever! Enough time for friends to get to hold them (hard as it proved to be to share the holding privledge--goodness), and I think Sam held one for over an hour before returning it to the butterfly house. Anyway, all five butterflies made it out alive into the air, even after one apparently was sat on by Amelia, and for that I was very thankful.

Are you ready for some pictures, because I took lots:) The first are of a book I highly recommend from the "Let's Read and Find Out" series. I love that series and always keep my eyes out for them while thrifting (and have found several)! We read it several times throughout the process and Sam loved getting to read it while holding one of the butterflies!










Next up will be the worm observatory from their Auntie Shanyn and family:) We're excited!
All for now, Jen

2 comments:

anna said...

Ellie got the same butterfly garden and ladybug garden for Christmas. We also enjoyed ours very much. Some of the butterflies even came back the next day after me set them free. Ellie really liked that.

Jocelyn said...

Adorable!!! we'll do it again, yes... but maybe when they're 4... it was a little overwhelming- all the "careful"s, "dont knock it over"s, "stop hitting the mesh please"s and whatnots!! but overall it was great and we WILL do it again!