Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Simple pleasures; they make me miss her....

I am cooking beans and cornbread and the house smells like the bacon simmering in the big pot on top of the stove.

I am walking out to the garden to look for fresh tomatoes. Sam is with me peeking his bright eyes out of the sling.

I am eating a good hamburger out on the porch with Joel and Sam and Amelia...the night air cooling us off and making us feel light and breezy.

There are certain people in your life that you talk about certain things to. One friend maybe you find yourself always talking about surface things...current events, day to day happenings in your life. Another maybe you find yourself always cutting to the core of how you are really doing deep inside. Maybe you have someone that you have great conversations about your spiritual walk and the things God is teaching you. I am so thankful to have people in my life to talk about each of these things with....but there is one area where there is a hole sometimes. After all, who really wants to hear about how happy you are while cooking beans? Or how delicious that burger tasted after eating spring rolls the two nights previous for dinner.

My grandma. She is who I called to talk about simple pleasures. Food in paticular. And today as I was walking out the back door to the garden, the bacon smell simmering behind me, I was thinking about calling her. Wishing I could call her. Appreciating the hole in my heart that is there without her.

Simple pleasures; they make me miss her so.

No comments: