Saturday, November 11, 2006

Where I'm from...

I’m from cornfields and cow pastures. I’m from having 11 cats at one time(Joel says that this conjurs up images of a gross "cat woman house", so i'll clarify by saying that this included kittens and strays and that they were always outside cats), and loving each one dearly. I’m from a stray animal haven, and sometimes a stray people haven too. A home full of love and safety. I’m from riding bikes to the “white thing”, making sheet forts in the living room, playing Annie and singing “Rover” until my lungs were horse (thinking that I sounded beautiful of course). I’m from eating quiche and taboulli when everyone else’s family was eating chicken casseroles.

I’m from grandma and from granny and papa. I’m from grandma’s house in Hockley where she made us grilled cheese with SLICED cheese, where we ate delicious TV dinners and talked about food and my friends and where I was completely myself and completely loved. I’m from trips to the “big city” to see granny and papa and go on special shopping trips and out to eat. I’m from their house on Northampton where I always felt treasured and where I loved (ahem, love) being the only granddaughter among the 5 of us grandchildren.

I’m from children’s church on Sunday morning and Awanas on Wednesday Nights. I’m from a mom that believed in answered prayer and acted like it. I’m from a dad who shared with those who were struggling in the midst of his own financial struggle. I am from a legacy of seeking God.
I am from watching the Cosby show, loving Punky Brewster, mowing the lawn while practicing “very important but never to be spoken” speeches to boys and grown ups, watching falling stars on the driveway, watching fireworks from the roof every fourth of July, going to the Towery’s to swim, listening to Rich Mullins and Carole King, having magical Christmas mornings….. and so much more.

Where are you from? Jen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

when I stop crying I'll try to tell you where I'm from. That was a much needed walk down memory lane.
Love you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I'm from a grandmother's rose garden when as a small child I loved to spend hours just smelling the roses. I'm from a granddaddy who loved to tease and be teased. I'm from a mother who was always giving and rarely receiving. I'm from a dad who loved to see his children happy and adored his grandchildren.

Thanks for the reminder of where we all come from.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Awwwww...Jen. You are such an inspiration...

I'm from Smalltown, TX where I played by myself with matchbox cars and elaborate chalk-drawn cities that stretched for what seemed like miles. I'm from lots of outdoor space and picking animals as my best friends (including my horse Ajax - because he was white, Jonsey the cat, Taffy the dog, and Thumper and Lilly Dale, my sheep). I'm from one Grandad who let me sit in his lap to drive the truck and the other letting me sit in his lap to listen to Willie Nelson on the headphones while Grandma watched Lawrence Welk.

I'm from Dad who's greatest lesson to me has been "It's not what happens to you in life, but how you handle it that counts" and Mom who reminds me that every once in a while it's okay if we don't handle what happens to us well.

I'm from Grandma Dimmitt and the best cornbread stuffing in the world. I'm from love love love. I'm from take what you get but make the most of what you have. I'm from do unto others, give more than you take and know when to hold your tounge. I'm from long days in a horse barn where I learned as much about humans as I did the four-legged loves of my life. I'm from love love love.

I'm from patience is a virtue...and I'm from surround yourself with good people and you will have a good life.

Love you guys! Love this family!
rd

anna said...

jenny i am from a lot of the same things that you are but add a lot of trees...

Anonymous said...

ditto.... Joel